No announcement yet.

Susky flats 4/26/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After having a good day yesterday and seeing the winds forecast for today I decided to stay home...that didn't last long. Jeremy gave me a call and told me the conditions weren't bad and that they were catching. I got a late start and didn't hit the water until around 1 which is when Rob and Jeremy were coming in. As soon as I hit the water I was cursing those two for getting me excited! Those waves were so big I thought I'd pack it in after a few minutes. The wind just came out of nowhere and didn't give up. I'd gone through the effort of getting there and on the water...I was going to fish. I fished the second half of the falling tide and the bite was on. At low tide the bite stopped completely. When the tide started coming back in, the bite came back again. Got 3 fish with the smallest at 36" and 3 others got away free. After two days of trolling and trolling, I'm beat. Time for my beer.

Boat traffic was very light. Like Jeremy said, I think a lot gave up on the season.
    Rain all next week may shut it all down. I hope not...only one way to find out!

I've got a video uploading and will post it soon.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Yak Fish; 04-26-2014, 09:30 PM.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Here's the video. You can almost get an idea of how windy it was

Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Nice work!!!!!!!!

Comment

G0020026_1398533205552_high.jpg here's a pic from yesterday, I'm having trouble posting my go pro video any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. Robby
          2014 Hobie Dune Outback
          2013 Ocean Kayak Yellow Trident 13
          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by yakkinfish18 View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]11571[/ATTACH] here's a pic from yesterday, I'm having trouble posting my go pro video any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. Robby
            Rob, I converted mine to an .MPG to reduce the size then uploaded it to youtube. From there I just copied and pasted the link using the "insert video" icon in this forum's window.

Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I forgot to add one little funny anecdote to my post....perhaps it's better off left unsaid but I cracked myself up. I was on the way back in and since I had the torqeedo I put it on autopilot while deciding that I really needed to relieve myself. Since I was wearing waders this process is just a little more challenging than you'd think. I thought, "no way a fish will hit in the 30 seconds it takes to go" I had a full stream effort going, waders all undone, motor plowing along and line screaming off the reel. It was a circus effort to get it all together to catch that 38 incher none the less.

Moral of the story: If you really want to catch a fish, put yourself in the most awkward situation and it'll be guaranteeded to happen

Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Well done folks!

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                Moral of the story: If you really want to catch a fish, put yourself in the most awkward situation and it'll be guaranteeded to happen
                Truth.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

SWEEEET!! Awesome Gents!! I can imagine the smile on Sparky's face!!

Rob you're really putting your new Hobie to work!

Allen, the moral of your story is sooooo true! LOL
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Hahaha Im not afraid to admit I've also caught some fish with my pants down... Shot some geese that way too...

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                      I forgot to add one little funny anecdote to my post....perhaps it's better off left unsaid but I cracked myself up. I was on the way back in and since I had the torqeedo I put it on autopilot while deciding that I really needed to relieve myself. Since I was wearing waders this process is just a little more challenging than you'd think. I thought, "no way a fish will hit in the 30 seconds it takes to go" I had a full stream effort going, waders all undone, motor plowing along and line screaming off the reel. It was a circus effort to get it all together to catch that 38 incher none the less.

Note to self: Never shake Alan's hand after he has caught a fish.
                      Mike

Comment

Awesome going there guys. I need to hook into a monster like that this season.

Mobile Phone

Outback 2015
                        Maui

Comment

Okay, Ok. Since we are sharing and all. .. I must admit I too have hooked a fish with my pants down. It was not easy keeping the fish hooked but I did manage to land it. Thank God there was no video.
                          Great job guys, and congrats .
                          2015 Outback
                          2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

http://YouTube/iv7gs7ta3rs hope this works, if not its on YouTube at susky striper 42"
                            2014 Hobie Dune Outback
                            Rob

Comment

Yea I didn't , I got to ask a kid to help me with my computer skills lol, I said it wrong, YouTube at susky flats 42" striper
                              2014 Hobie Dune Outback
                              Rob

Comment

Originally posted by yakkinfish18 View Post
                                Yea I didn't , I got to ask a kid to help me with my computer skills lol, I said it wrong, YouTube at susky flats 42" striper
                                Hahaha...you had a 42" striper on the line and you put the rod down to reel in the other line. To hell with the other line!
                                I run into the same issue too when those big ones spin ya all around. I try to keep the kayak in position away from wrapping myself in the second line while trying to reel it in little by little with the fish rod still in hand.

Nice job on that nice fish and getting her back in the water quickly.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                                Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X