Rocky Gorge 27 April 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Gorge 27 April 14

Put in at the Supplee Lane ramp around 9:30 am.

Lots of kayaks on the water today. One group of 11 boats paddling, not fishing. Talked to several kayaks that were fishing and a few other boats, not one did any "catching" by 4pm. What's up with that? I lost three fish, two were yellow perch had them almost to the side of the kayak and they got off. One I didn't see but it pulled like a (small) bass. Had a hand sized bluegill chase my ratlin rapala, but didn't get close enough to bite. Water was really clear. Gotta get used to the pain in the rear that is the wind changing direction continually.

Only one other Hobie that we saw and talked to, not sure if it he's a member...I'm still new here.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Hey man, I think talked to you yesterday with your daughter.. you had said you had enough and had been out all morning right?

I ended up catching one small bass next to a laydown tree on a rapala DT6.
    Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
    Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
    Northern Pike: 24 inches
    Crappie: 12 inches
    Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Yeah, that was us. We were on the water for about 7 hours yesterday, and another 7 Saturday. One fish in two days, makes for a long day; but my daughter is ready to go again. Hopefully the action picks up soon. Might have to get some worms, at least I could get her into some bluegill.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

I was on the upper end in the afternoon. Caught six (nothing big) by dead-sticking a jig & craw on the bottom. Cast, let it hit the bottom, then pretend it was a piece of bait. Had a couple of the bass pickup the jig after it had sat motionless for over 60 seconds. They were definitely "neutral/negative" yesterday. Probably one too many cold fronts have moved through the area.
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I noticed the bite at Rocky Gorge normally isn't that great until sunset. It also takes a long time to paddle and find fish that are willing to bite. The rain from the other night might have also thrown the bite off.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
            I was on the upper end in the afternoon. Caught six (nothing big) by dead-sticking a jig & craw on the bottom. Cast, let it hit the bottom, then pretend it was a piece of bait. Had a couple of the bass pickup the jig after it had sat motionless for over 60 seconds. They were definitely "neutral/negative" yesterday. Probably one too many cold fronts have moved through the area.
            We tried crank baits, dropshotting plastic worms, bassassasin on jig, a few bites but still pretty slow. I think the weather has put the fish off, hopefully it straightens up soon.

Originally posted by perchy View Post
            I noticed the bite at Rocky Gorge normally isn't that great until sunset. It also takes a long time to paddle and find fish that are willing to bite. The rain from the other night might have also thrown the bite off.
            I've had better luck in the evenings before also (5 years ago), we're going to try some after work/school fishing pretty soon. Probably put in at Scott's Cove, save a little pedaling.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

I've been fishing Rocky Gorge since 1983 and never caught a pike. So you're doing great.
              Trips with no fish are common at the WSSC reservoirs, so get used to it. Eventually, you'll figure out a few methods to catch fish at a more regular rate. If you get desperate to put your kid on some fish, then get a bottom bouncer, a nightcrawler worm harness, and some crawlers, then troll around. You'll get some white perch, yellow perch, crappies, and an occasional surprise!

Comment

photo (3).jpg

Here's the bass from yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                  I've been fishing Rocky Gorge since 1983 and never caught a pike. So you're doing great.
                  Trips with no fish are common at the WSSC reservoirs, so get used to it. Eventually, you'll figure out a few methods to catch fish at a more regular rate. If you get desperate to put your kid on some fish, then get a bottom bouncer, a nightcrawler worm harness, and some crawlers, then troll around. You'll get some white perch, yellow perch, crappies, and an occasional surprise!
                  Yep, still no pike for me either. I have caught a striper and channel cat though. There are supposed to be walleyes as well.

I am thinking of switching up tactics a bit this year and using smaller cranks in shallower structure.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                    I'm going to tie up some spinners with double hooks for a worm harness. Need to pick up a few more bottom bouncers, I only have a couple...or better yet some "bait walker" weights, those are better than bottom bouncers. Good size yellow perch should make fine table fair. There's supposed to be walleye in Rocky Gorge and Tridelphia also, but I've never caught one. My wife said she caught a couple walleye when we were stationed here before, you'd think I'd remember that...but I don't.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

The walleyes are in there. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...le.asp?ID=1313

Comment

Here's the bass from yesterday.
                        Firetiger, I've always liked that color, but I think the pattern has done a better job catching fishermen than fish. At least for me.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Firetiger is one of my favorites. I have a ton of confidence in the color in deep or stained water.

Comment

Now I really want to get out and drag some worms around.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

I make my own crawler spinner harnesses. A 3/4 ounce bouncer works for me. I also use the bouncer to troll small jointed rapala minnows. I caught 2 juvenile walleyes in Triadelphia last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X