Rocky Gorge 27 April 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
    I make my own crawler spinner harnesses. A 3/4 ounce bouncer works for me. I also use the bouncer to troll small jointed rapala minnows. I caught 2 juvenile walleyes in Triadelphia last year.
    I've been tying spinner harnesses since I was a kid, probably my daughter's age, maybe even younger...as long as I can remember. I've got a box large tupperware box full of beads, spinner blades, clevises, hooks, etc. I will be tying some starting tomorrow after work. I have a go to color combination, my twin sister came up with it as a joke right before we went to the family rebellion* camping/fishing trip: Hot Chartreuse blade with Pink faceted beads. Little did she know there was no joke, that combination became the family favorite catching countless walleye over the years.

*reunion
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Walleyes are scarce, so don't expect to catch a lot of them. It too me 3 years of trying to finally catch a couple of small ones at Triadelphia. But you'll catch plenty of fish on them. White perch will probably be the dominant catch, but you will encounter schools of crappies and yellow perch, with occasional other species as a bonus. I always try the bottom bouncer for a while every trip to see what I can catch.

Comment

Do you ever use plastic worms on them?
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...arness-8-13-13

Haven't caught any walleyes yet with a rubber worm, but have caught other stuff.

Comment

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...arness-8-13-13

Haven't caught any walleyes yet with a rubber worm, but have caught other stuff.
            Thanks for the insight. I'm not expecting the walleye fishing to be like back home, but knowing that they're there is enough to get me interested.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

If you figure out how to catch them consistently, please share the secret.

Comment

Anybody put some serious time in trolling baits like shad raps and other small deep divers? They should produce as well as entice the big toothy guys

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Works on the Potomac

Comment

If you figure out how to catch them consistently, please share the secret.
                    Will do.
                    Originally posted by freshstripes View Post
                    Anybody put some serious time in trolling baits like shad raps and other small deep divers? They should produce as well as entice the big toothy guys

I spent a good bit of time trolling shad raps over the last few weekends, not sure if that qualifies as what you're looking for...but it should work better than it did. I still think the inconsistent weather has played a major part in the slow catching.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

I would try trolling super shad raps too they catch muskie.

Comment

The problem isn't the shad raps, it's that the WSSC reservoirs are difficult to catch bass in.

Comment

I troll the deep husky jerks specially designed for walleyes on Lake Erie and have yet to catch one. I think the patterns you read about for pike and walleyes that work in other places may not work here. These fish MIGHT be relating more to cool springs than deep water in the summer.
                          Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                          Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                          Northern Pike: 24 inches
                          Crappie: 12 inches
                          Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Are you hitting bottom and snagging often? Maybe you are fishing too deep.

Comment

I would focus on making contact with the bottom and matching the forage

Comment

Originally posted by perchy View Post
                                I troll the deep husky jerks specially designed for walleyes on Lake Erie and have yet to catch one. I think the patterns you read about for pike and walleyes that work in other places may not work here. These fish MIGHT be relating more to cool springs than deep water in the summer.
                                I don't know about cool springs, but if it draws bait fish, certainly the predators will hone in on them. I would expect Rocky Gorge to have the same cool/cold water temps at lower in the water column since it's so deep.
                                Hobie fleet:
                                2017 Quest 13
                                2015 Outback
                                2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X