Severn River 5/7/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River 5/7/2014

Went out this morning from Back Creek and did some trolling. I have not been out since opening day (skunked) so I was hoping that my luck would change. I am glad I decided to go out. It was a beautiful morning on the water, made even better by catching my first stripers of the season. I was trolling 1/2-3/4oz jig heads, one with a 4" white sassy shad, the other a 5" electric chicken sassy shad. I caught 8 total between 11.5-18.75in, all were caught in 4.5-8ft of water. had 2 hit at the same time and why fighting the one the other one got off!. I learned a lot today as it's my second time trolling with the PA12. Had some good go pro bloopers as well because I kept forgetting that I was using rod leashes and every time I would hook one and he would run to the side where my other rod was I kept trying to go over or under it with the leash still attached which I found didnt work DOHHH!

DSCN0235.jpgDSCN0243.jpgDSCN0246.jpgDSCN0248.jpgDSCN0255.jpgDSCN0257.jpg

Good looking fishes
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Raptor, Mark, and myself launched from Jonas Green pk around 7. Raptor caught at least 7 stripers, Mark caught at least 2, and I caught 3 ranging from14" to 26".

Comment

Nice! Sounds like the bigger ones were where you guys were!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
          Raptor, Mark, and myself launched from Jonas Green pk around 7. Raptor caught at least 7 stripers, Mark caught at least 2, and I caught 3 ranging from14" to 26".
          Were you guys trolling or jigging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Mike

"But by the grace of God I am what I am..." - I Cor. 15:10
          Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Cooperhead

Comment

Nice work all around. I'm glad to see that the Severn catching is starting to pick up.

dtandrade - did you catch more on the white or the electric chicken color?
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John, we did best with white Xraps

Comment

John it was about even. The smaller ones were hitting the white (maybe due to its smaller profile?) and the bigger ones were hitting on the electric chicken.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Comment

I caught both of my fish trolling.

My first striper was 16 inches and it hit a chartreuse X-Rap. I caught it near the "Purple Cherry Architect" property for those familiar with the area.

Then I got this 18 inch fish in the photo on a bucktail while I was trolling not far from Raptor and On the fly.

A.jpg

I dressed the bucktail with a Fat Sam paddle tail.

B.jpg

The three of us had fish on simultaneously when I caught the above striper. Raptor was calling to me join them but I was also busy at the moment.

Raptor and On the fly each had stripers topping 24 inches on their lines today. The bigger fish are definitely in the area.

It was joy to be on water that was calm for a change. My last Severn outing (Monday) was quite challenging with high winds and 2 foot waves. And our recent trip to Cape Charles, VA also featured choppy water. What a nice morning even though it rained. We got off and packed up just before the rain came.

The only other observation of note is that a raptor -- the feathered kind, not the paddler -- nailed a bird in the sky above my kayak. I heard a horrible cry, I presume from the prey and then feathers fluttered around my boat as the raptor flew off with its meal in its claws. Mother nature can be harsh.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Way to go guys! I plan on playing hooky tomorrow (Thurs) and launching from Jonas Green. Never launched from there before. Looks like the winds should be calm. Not very skilled at trolling but I'm gonna give it a try. Will be happy to catch anything. Any advice for a Severn river newbie would be appreciated.
                    John D.
                    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                    GO RAVENS!!!
                    GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

deleonjo,

If it's your first time there I would advise you to stay between the two bridges to acquaint yourself with the area and troll near the shorelines.

Casting to structure (pilings and riprap) is also a good tactic as the weather warms.

Good luck,
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice Job!
                        2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Great Job Gentlemen!!
                          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Thanks, Mark. Sounds like good advice.
                            John D.
                            2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                            GO RAVENS!!!
                            GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

The tide was incoming all morning, meaning that the current was moving upriver. Did you notice any difference in catch success based on whether you were heading upriver or downriver?
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis
                              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                              X