June Meet & Greet - Rumbley, MD - June 14th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June Meet & Greet - Rumbley, MD - June 14th

I was going to wait until the May M&G completed before posting, but since that looks like that’s up in the air, I figured I better get the details out so people can plan accordingly.

June’s Meet & Greet will be held on Saturday, June 14th in Rumbley, MD primarily targeting speckled trout and striped bass. Puppy drum are also possible but I haven’t found more than a few in the area the last two years. I’m open to suggestions, but we’ll plan to launch at 6:30 – 7:00 am at the Rumbley public landing at the end of Rt. 361. Rt. 361 is off of Crisfield Road.

The launch is a single ramp, so I’d suggest having everything prepared ahead of time or using wheels to load up at your vehicle before launching to alleviate clogging up the ramp. The area around the ramp has some rip-rap beside it and you can launch from there as well if you don’t mind a scratch or two.

Lunch will take place at the Hide Away Grill right next to the ramp. I still need to make sure they can accommodate us as they don’t open for the season until next week some time, but we should be fine there. Again, I’m open for suggestions on lunch time but was thinking 12:30ish. After lunch people can head home if they choose, or more than likely, we’ll head back out to continue fishing.

Tides for the 14th are Low 9:46 am and High 3:27 pm. Here is a link for the NOAA marine forecast to keep an eye on as the date gets closer: http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.ph...543&syn=anz500 . The area is open for the most part and 2-3’ chop can make fishing wet and difficult, but still possible.

I attached map that outlines the general fishing area I usually target (but feel free to go wherever you want); with the launch and lunch spot at the star. You are literally in speckled trout habitat the minute you launch and anywhere inside the area I’ve outlined you can be into specks and stripers. It’s easy to cover 10 miles in a day and from the launch to head all the way to the south end of Pat Island is about 3.5 miles.
    Rumbley.jpg

It’s shallow water with sand and grass substrate. I rarely fish more than 100 yards off the bank and will usually be in water from 1’ – 8’. Trolling and/or casting jig heads with grubs and paddle tails, top water plugs over the shallows, or popping corks all work very well. Soaking peeler or soft crabs works too if you prefer bait fishing. The water depth and grass rarely make it necessary to fish a jig head over 3/8 oz.

If nothing else, it’s a beautiful area to explore and get lost in time. I haven’t tried there yet this year but I’m hearing reports of specks just south of the Honga River already so they should be there. I plan to get out a few times before the 14th to see what’s going on.

Last note; if you need drinks, snacks, gas, tackle, etc. make sure you get it before you turn off Crisfield Rd. because there isn’t anywhere to stop after that. Hoping for a good turn out and let me know if you have questions or I missed anything!

Post here if you plan on attending and if you are interested in lunch so I can give the restaurant a rough head count.

Brian
    Last edited by Slobber Bob; 05-14-2014, 02:39 PM.
    Brian

Is there camping nearby?
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I'm in. This should be a great time. Brian was very generous to share one of the better speck spots on the lower eastern shore. It will be a great location for fishing, food/beers, and scenery. Like Brian, I will be out exploring the area before the M&G. I'll post any pics to this thread along with what they're biting on.

Cowpokey- Yes. There is camping at Janes Island State Park in Crisfield. It is about 20 mins away from the launch.

Brian-If your yellow circle is an underwater cage, you'll easily win the host of the year award.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Hey Brian,
        Thanks so much for hosting this and providing great details!

I'm definitely in for fishing but probably not lunch. I'll msg you about lunch to get more info later in the week.

Sent using Tapatalk
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
          Is there camping nearby?
          Lake Somerset Family Campground
          8658 Lake Somerset Rd, Westover, MD
          12.5 miles, 27 minutes

Janes Island State Park
          26280 Alfred J Lawson Dr, Crisfield, MD
          21.4 miles, 37 minutes
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
            Brian was very generous to share one of the better speck spots on the lower eastern shore.
            -If your yellow circle is an underwater cage, you'll easily win the host of the year award.
            This is my first time hosting so thanks for raising expectations already!

Originally posted by buzz View Post
            Lake Somerset Family Campground
            8658 Lake Somerset Rd, Westover, MD
            12.5 miles, 27 minutes

Janes Island State Park
            26280 Alfred J Lawson Dr, Crisfield, MD
            21.4 miles, 37 minutes
            There is a place on Fairmount Road <10 minutes from the launch, Chesapeake Woods and Waters, but it's essentially a field in some dude's yard. Jane's Island is probably the best bet though.

I also just notice I posted this in the MD Boatyard, I guess an Admin can move it to the Main if it should be there instead?
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
              This is my first time hosting so thanks for raising expectations already!
              If I don't catch a 30" speck, I'm gonna snap a rod or two.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I plan on being there as of now......I am also good for lunch.
                Last edited by moc; 05-21-2014, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                  Hey Brian,
                  Thanks so much for hosting this and providing great details!

I'm definitely in for fishing but probably not lunch. I'll msg you about lunch to get more info later in the week.

Sent using Tapatalk
                  It is a shame you might miss lunch there. They advertise having the best crab cake in the State. I fancy myself an expert judge of Maryland Crab Cakes, and I mentioned that it was a very bold claim. The owner said, to just enjoy my meal and that he would check back when I was finished. He came back by and asked if he needed to change his sign, I smiled, and said "no sir you sure don't". I am out of State fishing that week, but might have to make the long drive for just the day to join everyone.

Comment

Great area. I plan to attend if the weather is good. Had some decent fishing down there last year in June.image.jpg

Comment

Thanks Hemingway! I'll have to see how it goes

Sent using Tapatalk
                      -Mustafa
                      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Count me in.
                        2012 hobie outback
                        2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

I should be there.

Comment

If I can can get off from the wife for a day, I will be there, I am also in for lunch.
                            Ocean Kayak Yellow 13

Comment

I will try to go, and bring a buddy along with me if he is free.

Comment

Working...
                              X