Beverly Triton Beach Park 5/26/2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beverly Triton Beach Park 5/26/2014

The winds were only 4mph to 8mph in the morning with a high temperature during the day to be 85 degrees. SurfDog wanted to try out the new Beverly Triton Beach Park, so we all (SurfDog, Grady Black, Coop1486 and myself) met up at the Wawa on Route 2 in Edgewater at 6:30am. I was actually too early. I arrived at 6:00am and Coop1486 arrived next at 6:11am. SurfDog arrived 10 minutes later with Grady arriving just before 6:30am. After getting some early morning coffee, and snacks, we followed SurfDog to the park. Well, we got there at 6:40am, but the park did not open until 7:00am. We got our gear together while waiting for the guard to come and open the gate. It was now 7:30am and the gate was still locked, so we could not drive our cars down to the launch to drop off our yaks. Coop noticed that a side pedestrian gate was not locked. The gate was just wide enough to get out kayaks through. Since the guard was late or not coming at all, we decided to hauled our kayaks down to the launch by foot. Of course as soon as we were ready to launch, then the guard shows up and opens the gate...go figure. At least we will have an easier time leaving.

After we launched, I trolled salt and pepper paddle tail Bass Assassins south towards a channel ledge. Coop1486 headed the same way while Grady and Surf headed straight out to bottom fish bloodworms and fish bites. I did not get any bites trolling so I headed over to join Surf and Grady bottom fishing. Surf caught the first couple of croakers for the day. Once I got into position, I began catching 9 to 10.5 inch croakers. I even caught a jumbo spot and a smaller spot. Coop then landed his first croaker of the day followed by Grady Black. It was a nice day. We all got the skunk off and the weather and the water was beautiful. This is a nice free launch, and I will definitely be back. By 11:00am we were heading to shore to pack up and head out.
    Attached Files

Ready to do some bottom fishing. Thanks for the info and pics.

Comment

Sweet! How deep were you catching the croaker? I'm going to have to get over there for some, my wife's favorite fish to eat. Can you catch them from shore in that area? We only have the one kayak, I know my wife will want to go fishing too if we're after croaker.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Nice to see the croakers have arrived - great report

Comment

Good job guys. I like that park. It's petty scenic.

Mobile

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

Hoping it is agood year for croaker.....my fav for eating

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

croaker are one of my favs too, well done!
              sigpic

Comment

Most of the fish were caught in 6 to 9 feet of water. Deeper and shallower, produced no fish. There are a lot of crab pots around this area, so you have to be careful when trolling. By low tide the bite shut off.

Comment

That is a nice park but team work is helpful getting loaded yaks to and from beach. Not very shore fishing friendly.

Croakers, they should call them crappers watch out getting them off the hook or they will crap all over u;-(

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                    That is a nice park but team work is helpful getting loaded yaks to and from beach. Not very shore fishing friendly.
                    Can anyone post a good shore fishing location for croaker?
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Two places I've caught croaker from shore in the past are...

1) Point Lookout State Park - open all night long as long as you have a valid license and a line in the water. The causeway, the lighthouse, and the pier are the most popular locations there. Entrance fee per car: $5 resident / $7 non-resident.

2) Town Creek Pier - The Town Creek Pier was owned and operated by the restaurant across the street. The restaurant went out of business and the pier fell into disrepair. By 2007 it was unusable. BUT... looking at Google Earth it appears that the pier has been completely rebuilt.

Anyone know what the status is on the Town Creek pier?
                      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                        Two places I've caught croaker from shore in the past are...

1) Point Lookout State Park - open all night long as long as you have a valid license and a line in the water. The causeway, the lighthouse, and the pier are the most popular locations there. Entrance fee per car: $5 resident / $7 non-resident.

2) Town Creek Pier - The Town Creek Pier was owned and operated by the restaurant across the street. The restaurant went out of business and the pier fell into disrepair. By 2007 it was unusable. BUT... looking at Google Earth it appears that the pier has been completely rebuilt.

Anyone know what the status is on the Town Creek pier?
                        Thanks, I'll have to check these out. I just remembered, a guy I used to work with fishes for croaker from shore. I haven't talked to him in a while, I'll have to give him a call and see what he says.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

I also heard that they have been catching croakers from shore at Jonas Green on the Severn and its pier. They are also catching croakers and limiting out at Point Lookout State Park's fishing pier in Southern MD.

Comment

Bushwood, any public beach in ST Mry's county, but most close before dark which is a bummer. Croaker at or after dusk are much closer to shore.
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Moc - I just noticed you caught a spot as well as croakers. Nice.

Mobile

Outback 2015
                              Maui

Comment

Working...
                              X