Clear All

Good luck guys, I'm goin to try crabbing somewhere above the bridge
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Good luck - looking forward to the fish catching reports

Comment

I launched from Sandy Point in my center console at 7:15. I saw only one kayak on the way out. I headed north to check out Sandy Pt light, then rode across to Love Point. The bay above the bridge was quite choppy -- certainly more waves than I expected based on the wind forecast. The eastern side of the bay must have been somewhat in the wind shadow, as it was calmer on that side compared to the western shore. I jigged on many sonar marks on dropoffs but caught none there. I avoided a skunk by jigging up a 22" rockfish on an eastern side piling in about 15' depth. I ran south for a while looking for more good sonar marks but did not find them. As I came back across the bay, the waves grew as I got past the mid-point. I saw one or two kayaks working the pilings near the park. The only kayak fisherman I spoke with was at the ramp next to me. He had heard about snaggedline.com but is not yet a member.

I hope that all of our members who went out this morning had a safe trip. With the large waves and fast current, it was tough to fish pilings. It was not an ideal day for small craft.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

We got a late (compared to most) start, got to SPSP at 0900 and launched a few minutes later. Waves grew quickly after we started fishing. We talked to sushiplease for a few minutes, he wasn't having much luck either. We fished for about an hour, and decided it was too rough for comfort. We only tried jigging Z-mans, no bites. There were some boats hanging on anchor catching small fish, we didn't get too close, but it looked like either white perch or croaker.

Tide was running out pretty good, and wind blowing straight down the bay. The picture doesn't really do justice to the size of the waves if you've never been there...I know looking at the picture now that we're back home it looks fine, but it really wasn't very good. Having my daughter sitting on the nose let quite a bit of water in through the front hatch...the lip around it isn't self draining apparently with the extra weight up there. We won't be going back out there with her on the front unless it's really calm.

Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Well I stopped and paid $3.00 around 530 this morning for the ramp fee. Noticed a noise coming from the trailer. Checked and had a wore out wheel bearing with a very wobbly tire. Called the wife and told her I was coming back and to meet me with the pickup truck. Made it back in rush hour traffic driving slow while the wife followed me in. Probably irritated a few folks. It was a little windy at the ramp. Was hoping to meet Cowpokey as we live near each other. Next time. Heading down to Lake Gaston tomorrow for a couple weeks so I'll be fishing down there.

Comment

Originally posted by sushiplease View Post
              Will be heading out on my sorta new Hobie Outback for the first time this up coming Friday. Will probably arrive early morning 6ish, so if anyone is heading out there then, feel free to come say hi. This is my first solo kayak, so it will be a pretty fun new learning experience. Not going to out with high expectations, I am just going to enjoy some me time away from home and the new baby girl. Just bought the papaya outback from Paddle4fish and have over $400 worth of new toys on it's way to be fitted on the yak =D.
              First, congratulations on your new baby girl!!!!
              Second, congrats on your new kayak. Safe fishing and kayaking. Fun times ahead when your girl is big enough to bring her out on your kayak like Cowpokey does and teach her to fish!
              Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
              Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
                First, congratulations on your new baby girl!!!!
                Second, congrats on your new kayak cow pokeyishing and kayaking. Fun times ahead when your girl is big enough to bring her out on your kayak like Cowpokey does and teach her to fish!
                thanks! Fun tough first experience. One day I might manage something nice out there. It was nice seeing Cowpokey out there with his little girl. First thing I thought when I saw them was, "hey, one day my little girl can ride on mines too ".

Comment

Congrats on the baby girl. Spend time w them coz they grow up fast and next thing u ask them to go w you outdoors they rather go to the mall.

Comment

Working...
                  X