No announcement yet.

Bull Reds Around CBBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be down to try it on a calmer day. I plan on being at kipto all weekend on those dates. Anyone have an opinion or personal exp on how a hobie outback will fair out there?

Of the shoals don't work out would everyone be down to try sight casting to em?

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

What's the draw on the blades Doug? I guess theoretically they could hit sand right? Is the hole from the mirage drive like a big scupper? I know itd suck to break a fin off at 500 buck a pop for a mirage drive
      Malibu stealth 14 with a paddle....still lol

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
        I am thinking about a trip to fish the inlet between Fisherman's Island and Smith Island for flounder in a week or so Tuf- when you go down to Kipto what roads do you drive?
        There isn't any draw if I tuck them up against the bottom of the yak. They will bend if you run a ground. A severe bend leaves them relatively ineffective. When the peddels are in place only a little water drains in and out. I would be more concerned with the overall drag of the wider, heavier Outback. I know the current at the CBBT sucked, but I also didn't have my peddles

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

here's a great site (also need to go to its 'fishing tips' link)

http://www.pswsfa.com/Bull_Reds.htm

i think if a person doesn't have much experience around the ocean they may be in for some learning curve or worse in trying to take a yak out. the ocean really can be any mood from oily flat to homicidal and some conditions in-between can be very deceiving. i haven't taken my outback in but be sure to never underestimate the power of a breaking wave.

Comment

Oh yeah i forgot you were sayin they bend that's genius of them haha
            Malibu stealth 14 with a paddle....still lol

Comment

Im down to try anything, sight casting or anchored bait, anchoring would have me a little concerned at first but im sure ill get used to it. I will probably be on Assateague Island next weekend so I probably wont be free the next two weeks. I think the weekend of the 28th sounds good.
              -Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
              -Heritage FeatherLite 12

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                I am thinking about a trip to fish the inlet between Fisherman's Island and Smith Island for flounder in a week or so Tuf- when you go down to Kipto what roads do you drive?
                I go down I-95 to Richmond to HRBT and to CBBT to get to Kipto. Next weekend is the last weekend for togs before the season closes, so will be doing that. The weekend after that, if wx permits, will do red drum with the posse at Fisherman's (could also try for flounder). I really want to jig/troll for cows at PLO too when trophy season starts (21 Apr).
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                  I go down I-95 to Richmond to HRBT and to CBBT to get to Kipto. Next weekend is the last weekend for togs before the season closes, so will be doing that. The weekend after that, if wx permits, will do red drum with the posse at Fisherman's (could also try for flounder). I really want to jig/troll for cows at PLO too when trophy season starts (21 Apr).
                  So much to do, so little time!

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

yall know that the big reds are caught in MD. assateague island has a consistent run of big reds. its 100 miles less of a drive. its basically the same thing as what we fish down here.
                    just looking at the chart, i would sight for em in toms cove and the outside shore line. then hit the shoals to the left of where is says chincoteage inlet, where is says breakers. that whole area from fishing point to those 5 foot bumps is where i would troll, anchor or or sight for em in that area.http://wsm.ezsitedesigner.com/share/...20120410083155

Comment

Yep- know it well...but I try not to talk about it too much...same story about night fishing live mullet in the channels in July and early August- no telling what you might hook up for a few jumps doing that...
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

nice!! i hope i didnt reveal anything, ive never fished there before i was just going on my experiance on where they like to roam and the charts.

Comment

If only I could find a place near Richmond.

Comment

Originally posted by robchoi View Post
                            If only I could find a place near Richmond.
                            Or in the Potomac river ahaaha

Comment

well, on my bay tour dvd, that skull on the beach was on the northern neck. im pretty sure it was a big red.

Comment

Last year my neighbor/algebra teacher. Caught 17 all together in October with gulp in the south river,the biggest one was 17.5 so not giants but he defiantly caught them in may you can catch them at stone rock while black drum fishing,clams or soft shell crabs work but corker or spot heads are the BEST bait.

Comment

Working...
                                X