Nephew First Tenkara Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom,

I'm still not certain what species the fish was because state regulatory officials have not answered my query.

Further, I caught it in Delaware. The DNREC has a citation process for catch and release. However, it requires a witness (I was fishing alone) and a few other steps that seem more trouble than they are worth.

If it was a redear or a greengill, I don't believe its size was exceptional -- except to me. It's the largest member of the Lepomis genus I have caught.

If you want to test your tenkara with larger sunfish, I will gladly show or tell you where routine bluegill catches are 8 to 9 inches with some a nose or two over 9-inches. They fight hard.

Regarding local awards, Maryland has a much easier citation process than Delaware. I received a Maryland Citation last fall for a 25.5-inch pickerel I caught on the fly in the Magothy. All I had to do was to submit a photo of the fish on my Hawg Trough with the location of the catch. The MD DNR quickly responded with a nice certificate in the mail that included a color photo of my fish.

Side story: The current International Game Fish Association (IGFA) world record for a chain pickerel on the fly is just shy of 21-inches. It was caught in the Severn River in February 2022. The rules for an IGFA record are incredibly rigorous and include multiple certification steps and even the submission of the leader used. I imagine it's a time consuming process. So, good on the current record holder (I do not know him/her) for meeting IGFA requirements. However, John Rentch and I on this on this forum, and many others locally routinely catch 21-inch picks on flyrods in tidal creeks and freshwater ponds. I would not expect that 21-inch fish to hold the record for long.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hi Mark. Very cool about the giant sunfish thing you caught. I doubt I'll ever catch one even 10 inches long. Bummer about the Delaware citation process. It sounds like Maryland does the citations in a reasonable way. Also very cool that you have beaten the world record for a chain pickerel catch. haha. One of my projects this summer is to install a trailer hitch on our mini-van. Once I do that I can tow my kayak places for fishing trips. My kayaks don't fit inside my van and I don't like taking a kayak on and off of roof racks. We should set up a fishing trip sometime this year.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
        ...We should set up a fishing trip sometime this year...
        Absolutely.

You know how to reach me.

Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X