• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
    fish grip
    I think Pinch is the only dude here who can pull off the pink fish grips

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
      I think Pinch is the only dude here who can pull off the pink fish grips
      Out of the fish grip colors I own the pink one has the most Mojo.
      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Pinch, I hear you have pink waders too!

I use the Bass Pro boga knockoff. I like that it is metal and didn't cost much money at all because it doesn't have a scale built in. So far I've only used it on snakeheads, blues, and specks and it works fine.

Comment

pink

1367663904_angler2036_team399.jpg

Pink!
          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

For some reason either the lighting or my camera added a pink tint to this photo (my boots were not really pink -- Barbie footwear does not come in my size) but the fish was among my largest pickerel last year.

001.jpg

Regarding the original subject of this thread, I purchased a boga grip knockoff for $10 from Herb's Tackle shop in Northeast, MD several years ago. It is helpful to control a large fish once I have lifted it in the kayak. I do not try to mechanically grip the fish in the water -- I wait until it is in the boat.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I've both ........... Fish grips for small fish ........ Boga type for big fish ........ Mine are actually rapalas and they have a a
              Scale

Comment

I have fish grips.

I'm with John Veil. I use them after the fish is in the yak. I haven't gotten good enough with them to get a good grip on the fish while its still in the water.
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]10071[/ATTACH]

Pink!
                  Like a boss

Comment

$7.99 for fish grips on amazon tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                      I use fish grips, but the main issue is the jaws. The jaws are sort of big and thick and sometimes you can't fit the jaws into the mouth of the fish. I think the thinner boga grips might fit better. Also, through wear and tear, the plastic fish grips tend to loose their holding power.

There are other brands, with similar thin metal grips like the Boga, that look like they can do the job well at much lower costs than the Boga.
                      Tuf u need to catch bigger fish

Ive been using fish grips for years with no problems except 1 time I almost rel east a rock with the grip still hooked on mad scramble in the suds to get it back

Comment

I used my Boga grip clone last week to keep a pickerel healthy. I caught a large pickerel and wanted to get a photo. I got the measuring board ready, laid the fish down, and tried to snap the photo. The camera batteries were dead. I always carry a spare set of AAs. I put the grip in its jaws and hooked the wrist strap to a carabiner that I keep on the side handle of the kayak, and set the fish back in the water. The fish could get some oxygen while I changed out the batteries. Once the camera was ready, I lifted the fish back in the kayak, laid it on the board, and snapped the photo. The fish was quickly released.

I had never tried this technique before, but will remember it for future use.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
                          Like a boss
                          Great reference!
                          LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

While i understand the concern of tearing up the fish's mouth, I think the choice depends on a lot of factors: what the species is, what tackle you're using, and what you plan to do with the fish. For instance, if I'm fishing top water for keeper rock and get a feisty one who's intent on burying a treble hook in my hand, I wouldn't think twice about it. Or just about any size blue for that matter...

Pickerel I try to unhook boat side in the water. I know they can be a little fragile and I don't really want that many teeth flopping around on my lap. Yikes!
                            LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                            Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
                              While i understand the concern of tearing up the fish's mouth, I think the choice depends on a lot of factors: what the species is, what tackle you're using, and what you plan to do with the fish. For instance, if I'm fishing top water for keeper rock and get a feisty one who's intent on burying a treble hook in my hand, I wouldn't think twice about it. Or just about any size blue for that matter...

Pickerel I try to unhook boat side in the water. I know they can be a little fragile and I don't really want that many teeth flopping around on my lap. Yikes!
                              I see a lot of responsibility from the avid guys. I wish this stuff could be made simple for the non-avid anglers as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X