X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 11 Meet and Greet

From the tentative schedule we set

June 11 - Afternoon/Evening - Pt. Lookout - flounder, croaker, rockfish

Anyone who is familair with Pt Lookout interested in picking a launch site? Never to early to start planning.
    Camping Friday
    13.79%
    Camping Saturday
    10.34%
    Meet at 5:30 am
    6.90%
    Meet at 8:00 am
    17.24%
    Meet at 12:00 pm
    34.48%
    Meet at 4:00 pm
    17.24%

The poll is expired.

The easiest launch would be the boat ramp or the bait shop parking lot.

Comment

I think that boat ramp by the lake would be the easiest but potentially crowded in June. I think there is a kayak launch in the park near the riprap. If it's windy the lake stays pretty isolated, but hopefully it will be a nice day and we can drift for flatties. I'm hoping to go down there sometime later this month. I can report back if no one else steps up.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Like HokieDJ said, the easiest places are by the marina store or the boat ramp. I think the park prefers that kayakers launch from marina store, but I've never been hassled launching from the ramp. I haven't been there on a Saturday evening, but there has been plenty of parking on Saturday mornings.

Depending on the wind/waves I'll also launch on the Bay side. There's a beach near the point-end of the causeway. There isn't much parking available there, especially if there are a lot surf fishermen, but we can ferry folks from the marina store lot.

Unfortunately, the low tide is at 5pm on the 11th. I would prefer to fish a falling tide at PLO or Piney Point; however, I haven't fished the Bay side of PLO in the evenings as much, so I don't know if the tide matters that much.

The action at Point Lookout never heated up last year. Hopefully, I'll get a few trips out before June 11th to get some fresh intel. If things seem slow this year, Piney Point could be an alternative, but starting near high tide is almost mandatory there for the best action.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
          Like HokieDJ said, the easiest places are by the marina store or the boat ramp. I think the park prefers that kayakers launch from marina store, but I've never been hassled launching from the ramp. I haven't been there on a Saturday evening, but there has been plenty of parking on Saturday mornings.

Depending on the wind/waves I'll also launch on the Bay side. There's a beach near the point-end of the causeway. There isn't much parking available there, especially if there are a lot surf fishermen, but we can ferry folks from the marina store lot.

Unfortunately, the low tide is at 5pm on the 11th. I would prefer to fish a falling tide at PLO or Piney Point; however, I haven't fished the Bay side of PLO in the evenings as much, so I don't know if the tide matters that much.

The action at Point Lookout never heated up last year. Hopefully, I'll get a few trips out before June 11th to get some fresh intel. If things seem slow this year, Piney Point could be an alternative, but starting near high tide is almost mandatory there for the best action.
          No problem changing the time for the best fishing, we were tyring to do something different then 'first light". Starting at 11:00 with high tide would be ok. Could look for a place for dinner after?

Comment

The last time I went to Point Lookout I felt like a visitor to Mexico and Guatemala- I think I was the only English speaking person there.
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

The later start would be good for folks like me who have to make the 2hr drive. Night fishing would be cool too. I always wanted to do that.

Comment

Time to Plan

Anybody intersted in coordinating the June M&G at Pt. Lookout? Need to determine a launch place (with enough parking), time and possible lunch/dinner arrangements.

Should take a consensus see how many of us are willing to travel that far.

Comment

Ill travel.
                  Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Count me in
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'm in! Is there camping at that state park?

Comment

Seems to be plenty of campsites. Is this a go?

Comment

I'm gonna try to be there. I'm hoping to do some fishing there beforehand so I can offer some current intel. Between work and all the storms, I haven't had a chance to do much fishing lately.
                          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Hey All,
                            Where is Pt. Lookout? I'm in the Montgomery County, MD area. I would love to meet everyone and go yakfishing! Is it fresh water or salt? Is it an over night trip? If so, are we camping out there? Just want to hear some details.

Comment

Hey Shock, It's a MD state park at the mouth of the Potomac. A bunch of us set up a schedule for the monthly meet and greets back in December and this is it for June. It is saltwater. The main target is flounder but croaker, striper and maybe bluefish around as well. Here's the address:

Point Lookout State Park
                              11175 Point Lookout Road
                              Scotland, MD 20687

And park info:
                              http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclan...intlookout.asp

Hope to see you there!
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X