• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i vote potomac.....my motor did not enjoy the monocacy lol
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by fredneckyaker View Post
      Monocracy above Frederick. Next time we go, will let you know. Trying to still plan a Potomac run when the river goes down. Hopefully in a week.
      Yes, please let me know. I hate going by myself. Do you guys ever get down to montgomery county?

Just curious, what bait/lures are you guys using?

Thanks for getting back to me, and would to go out with you guys.

Comment

if i remember correct, Kegs was fishing a lizard, i was using a size 3 mepps XD spinner and Fredneck was using a rapala or crank of somekind.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
          if i remember correct, Kegs was fishing a lizard, i was using a size 3 mepps XD spinner and Fredneck was using a rapala or crank of somekind.
          I love mepps! I seem to have the best luck with them. Are you putting any weights on your mepps?

Pinch didnt you also go to seneca state park a bit ago?

Comment

uh

i was at little senecca lake awhile back yea. I didnt use inline weights with the mepps, Ultralite rod 4lb test floro.
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

perhaps another river?

this may come as a shock to many here, it was to me. My one day best multi-species day ever was on MD/DC's forgotten river, the Annacostia, I put in at Bladensburg and paddled down to the railroad bridge and all along the way caught 9 huge cats, three strippers (yes strippers) largemouth, and even a couple yellow perch in early may last year, the water is .... kind of gross, but no one is on it and you will see hundreds of birds.
              Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140

Comment

Any one fished Rocky Gorge?

Got a permit yesterday for Rocky Gorge, (RG) near Laurel, Md. Beautiful water. Spoke with Jerry at BassPro Sunday. He claims Maryland's largest Bass last year and holds several other records. He says RG is his home waters and several records were set there.

You can get a one day permit for $5.00 from the Cashiers office at the WSSC Building, which is less than ten minutes from the reservoir. $60 gets you an annual permit, good from mid-April to mid-November. Unfortunately, it is open only M-F, 7:30 am to 4pm. I think the permit is good for Tridelphia as well. Regs just say you need WSSC permit.

GREAT thing is that, unlike Pretty Boy and other Baltimore waters, you don't have to sign an affidavit dedicating your boat to fish only one body of water. Also, RG doesn't allow power boats - electric, sail and body propelled only. So the water is very quiet - just the sounds of the occasional plane. And you don't have to worry about dodging traffic or big swells caused by power boats on salt water. Another positive point for me is that there is plenty of parking, including trailers, at Scotts Cove and Supplee landing.

From the looks of it, I would guess that reservoir fishing is similar but not the same as great lakes fishing. I'm used to finding submerged trees and other structures on lakes. RG appeared relatively featureless - sonar didn't reveal any submerged structure around Scott's landing, where I put in. If I fish this area regularly, which I think I will, I'm going to have to learn some new techniques.

Anyone else here fish Rocky Gorge or Tridelphia? What works for you?

Comment

Originally posted by BadAssBass View Post
                  Got a permit yesterday for Rocky Gorge, (RG) near Laurel, Md. Beautiful water. Spoke with Jerry at BassPro Sunday. He claims Maryland's largest Bass last year and holds several other records. He says RG is his home waters and several records were set there.

You can get a one day permit for $5.00 from the Cashiers office at the WSSC Building, which is less than ten minutes from the reservoir. $60 gets you an annual permit, good from mid-April to mid-November. Unfortunately, it is open only M-F, 7:30 am to 4pm. I think the permit is good for Tridelphia as well. Regs just say you need WSSC permit.

GREAT thing is that, unlike Pretty Boy and other Baltimore waters, you don't have to sign an affidavit dedicating your boat to fish only one body of water. Also, RG doesn't allow power boats - electric, sail and body propelled only. So the water is very quiet - just the sounds of the occasional plane. And you don't have to worry about dodging traffic or big swells caused by power boats on salt water. Another positive point for me is that there is plenty of parking, including trailers, at Scotts Cove and Supplee landing.

From the looks of it, I would guess that reservoir fishing is similar but not the same as great lakes fishing. I'm used to finding submerged trees and other structures on lakes. RG appeared relatively featureless - sonar didn't reveal any submerged structure around Scott's landing, where I put in. If I fish this area regularly, which I think I will, I'm going to have to learn some new techniques.

Anyone else here fish Rocky Gorge or Tridelphia? What works for you?

Is Rocky Gorge the same as Brown Bridge Park? If so, I would love to meet you up there! I fish tridelphia quite a few times, but it's hit or miss. Some days are better than others. Let me know when you go out. I would love to meet ya out there!

Comment

Same water, different access point

Originally posted by shockaholick View Post
                    Is Rocky Gorge the same as Brown Bridge Park? If so, I would love to meet you up there! I fish tridelphia quite a few times, but it's hit or miss. Some days are better than others. Let me know when you go out. I would love to meet ya out there!
                    Rocky Gorge is the reservoir formed by T. Howard Duckett dam. Brown's bridge has parking at the bridge but does it have a boat landing. Could I get my 140 lb PA to the water?

Scotts Cove is also on the RG, as well as Supplee's landing. I fished from Scott's Cove, although launching is a little easire from Supplee.

SCOTTS COVE - ADC 5052-H9 (19-B7), Delorme 57-D5 Go south on US 29 to Exit 13, MD 216 east to Laurel. Bear right as you exit and go over US 29 to a traffic circle. Go halfway way around the circle and continue east on MD 216 for 0.3 mile. At the traffic light at Crest Drive, turn right and continue 0.2 mile to a T intersection with Scaggsville Road. Turn left and continue 0.5 mile to a right on Pineway Drive. Pineway dead ends in 0.4 mile at Harding Road. On the south side of this intersection there is a metal gate. Park along the street and go around the gate. Within a few hundred yards the path ends at the water. From this intersection, turn right on Harding Road. In 0.2 mile, there is another metal gate on the south side of the road. There is a wide shoulder on the south side where it is possible to park. The path here takes you to a different vantage point from the previous one. Continue west a short distance on Harding Road to a large gravel parking lot on the left at Scotts Cove. By continuing on Harding Road another 0.3 around the head of the cove, there is a second parking lot which is adjacent to the boat ramp as well as to mature pines.

Comment

Originally posted by BadAssBass View Post
                      Rocky Gorge is the reservoir formed by T. Howard Duckett dam. Brown's bridge has parking at the bridge but does it have a boat landing. Could I get my 140 lb PA to the water?

Scotts Cove is also on the RG, as well as Supplee's landing. I fished from Scott's Cove, although launching is a little easire from Supplee.

SCOTTS COVE - ADC 5052-H9 (19-B7), Delorme 57-D5 Go south on US 29 to Exit 13, MD 216 east to Laurel. Bear right as you exit and go over US 29 to a traffic circle. Go halfway way around the circle and continue east on MD 216 for 0.3 mile. At the traffic light at Crest Drive, turn right and continue 0.2 mile to a T intersection with Scaggsville Road. Turn left and continue 0.5 mile to a right on Pineway Drive. Pineway dead ends in 0.4 mile at Harding Road. On the south side of this intersection there is a metal gate. Park along the street and go around the gate. Within a few hundred yards the path ends at the water. From this intersection, turn right on Harding Road. In 0.2 mile, there is another metal gate on the south side of the road. There is a wide shoulder on the south side where it is possible to park. The path here takes you to a different vantage point from the previous one. Continue west a short distance on Harding Road to a large gravel parking lot on the left at Scotts Cove. By continuing on Harding Road another 0.3 around the head of the cove, there is a second parking lot which is adjacent to the boat ramp as well as to mature pines.
                      There is def a boat landing at brown bridge....

Comment

Been a few years since I fished there but If you like structure then you'll LOVE Rocky Gorge .......... it's banks are steep and the lake is long and narrow .......... lots of fallen trees and stumps ........... Like all MD reservoirs, it's a lake you will pay your dues to learn ........... Great Lakes is easy to fish in comparison ........

Tridelphia is just the opposite ........ mostly sloping banks with little structure by comparison .........

Both are scenic

Comment

I've made my mind up to fish RG more once I get back. Only fished the Browns bridge area once but I've listened to some folks who fish there alot talk about it. From what I have been told and the little I have seen myself.... The upper stretches (Brown's Bridge) is narrow and winding with lots of cover and some deep holes in the channel. The Mid section opens up a bit but still with plenty of cover and the area around the damn is mostly open deep and featureless. Again, most of that is word of mouth and my memory so take it with a grain of salt. The day I fished browns bridge we launched two boats with me and a buddy soaking bait for cats and fishing for bass. We didn't do much but we did get one 20" channel and a pair of 12 inch bass a piece. I also got bit off by either a pike or pickeral. Beautiful area and I look forward to learning / seeing more of the water in that area. Buddies also slam prespawn crappies in the middle section with some real slabs in the mix. Good fishin

Chimo

Comment

I fish them both...

I fish both of the WSSC reservoirs. The $60 season permit is good to fish in both of them. Last fall we caught a lot of largemouth bass, a few baby stripers, and a few crappies from Triadelphia. So far this spring I've caught a 20 inch largemouth, 19.5 inch largemouth, and 18 inch largemouth from Triadelphia. Been skunked plenty of times up there, but last Sunday was the most fish activity I've observed.

At Rocky Gorge I've mostly been skunked this year. Although I hooked into potentially the largest bass of my life only to have it come off right beside the kayak. It was a monster. I've never had a bass pull so hard. It felt like I snagged a tree stump when I set the hook.

People catch large fish in both reservoirs and I find both of them to have plenty of cover, rocky areas, and fallen trees. In my opinion Rocky Gorge fishes a little different because for some reason it seems to have more submerged aquatic vegetation as cover for fish.

Once the thermocline sets up in both reservoirs I struggle mightily to catch fish. I seem to have the best luck in the last hour of daylight.

I've been told by WSSC that they will be closing down Triadelphia in September to conduct repairs on Brighton Dam. No lauching of kayaks or boats when they drop the water level to make the repairs. That stinks because October is a great time to fish on these reservoirs.

Comment

I am mostly fresh waters around Baltimore County. Let me know when you decide to go and I will try to be there.

Comment

All this talk and photos of smallmouth, I think I'll head to the upper Potomac next week. It looks like the water conditions have vastly improved. I'll forsake the bay awhile longer.

Comment

Working...
                                X