March M&G---Marshall Hall/Bushwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March M&G---Marshall Hall/Bushwood

Hey Guys, ......Please let me know ASAP if you MIGHT come next Saturday and if you want lunch
    Given the recent weather conditions, I am worried about Bushwood being a productive local for M&G so I am recommending we do Marshall Hall (charles county, MD) for catfish (mostly blue catfish) and an occasional perch or Bass. There may be Rockfish in the area but of course that season is closed. Marshall Hall is a proven winter catfish area, contains a variety of species of catfish, has a great public boat launch and plenty of parking. We'll have a lot of area to spread out and look for cats. I'll put a map up next and some Marshall Hall catfish pics.I would suggest we eat at the Lunch Box in Bryans Road (reasonable, great reviews, close). Since the weather is cold and the tide will be turning at 8:34, I see no reason to get on the river before 8:30 (when I'll be there)....9-10 am would be even better as the tide will have committed and you won't have to re anchor.Launch time changed to 10 due to weather
    An anchor is recommended but not essential...if there is no wind. I don't use a "real" anchor, just a big hunk of chain, but if you use a light anchor or an unconventional anchor like mine make sure you have enough rope or anchor line. Some places have hard sand bottoms and your anchor may slip with the tide and wind if there is is to great an angle between anchor and boat. Here is my rule of thumb, especially if you don't have a peice of heavy chain attached to your anchor.

For bait we have used every thing including fresh micro perch, live minnows, venison trimmings, chunked menhadden, alewives, liver, squid, shrimp and night crawlers. So far this year, nightcrawlers (worms) have been the best. The local guys swear by gizzard shad but I have no idea where you would get them. We have also used the "fish bomb" to chum here with some positive results.
    This would be a good place to get to know if you are looking for large Rockfish closer to DC alternative during Rockfish C&R/Trophy season since this is a supposedly the best stretch if the Potomac during that season. I can't tell you that from personal experience, but my tourney fishing buddies from the Fish Bomb team verify the area (in general---they never share their honey holes).

I would, however, like to reserve the idea of hitting Bushwood cove (St Mary's Co., MD) though I think chances are not great. Bushwood, when it is hot, is a great place to catch catfish and of course it is far from any major development. I have had some amazing catfish days here in April and May. once putting 2 catfish on every loop of my stringer in just 1.5 hours of fishing. So, just in case, I am sending Ictalarus Bill on a final fact finding trip to Bushwood this Wednesday, and if he locates fish we can still vote to move back to Bushwood. Given the weather there will be NO chance of catching croaker next week. If we do Bushwood I recommend we eat at Kevin's Korner Cafe in Leonardtown (reasonably priced seafood)
    Last edited by kevinfry; 03-13-2015, 06:38 AM.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

]Marshall Hall map and Catfish pics
    Circled areas in 14 to 20 ft of water have been the most productive. The area shoals so depths in specific areas vary a few feet from year to year

nice ramp and parking

From a november 2014 trip

PAST YEARS

Citation White Catfish from Marshall Hall
    Last edited by kevinfry; 03-09-2015, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Our alternate site....Bushwood Wharf

some catfish from Bushwood

Comment

My "anchor" ....I don't use chain with plastic sleeve because it does not grip

Comment

I'm in for Marshall Hall, what time are you thinking to have lunch? I may stay out and fish, not sure yet.
          Jim

Hobie Outback
          TKAA member
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

I'm with Rockchaser.

Comment

Thanks guys
              Moc
              Rockchaser
              Echo5oscar
              Kevinfry
              Ictalarus
              Coop
              Jambone
              Kitkatyakker for lunch only!!
              Last edited by kevinfry; 03-11-2015, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Yep.... Marshall Hall sounds good to me.....

Comment

Iam for both.
                  2012 hobie outback
                  2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

From the early list, It looks like I will get my first Bill sighting for 2015 ...

Comment

Wish I could be there with you guys. Good luck though.
                      2015 Outback
                      2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Come to the lunch Kitty Kat since you cannot make fishing....

Comment

Are you talking about this saturday the 14th? or the 21st?

Comment

This Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
                              This Saturday.
                              DAM! i will be in OC for St Paddy Day Parade :/

Comment

Working...
                              X