Need suggestions for another smaller yak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestions for another smaller yak

I am looking for a 10 foot SOT yak in the 45 pound range for fishing slow rivers and small lakes.

I already have a OC Trident 13 all tricked out that I use in the bay but it is too big and heavy for just throwing in the back of the truck.

I would like to keep this around $500 or so and storage is not an issue as I fish light and won't be trolling with it.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by john from md; 04-24-2018, 08:21 PM. Reason: Added SOT
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

I could give you a free dagger black water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Ascends from BPS are good. I use one for the rivers so I don't tear up my hobies

Comment

Fixed the original post to say SOT. Thanks for the offer though Jesserkirk.

Firsttimer, the Ascends are pretty heavy. The 10T is 68 pounds.
        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

How about the Perception Pescador or Pescador sport. solid little kayaks, a little heavier than you mentioned, about 56 lbs. I have paddled my daughter's a few miles at a time fishing saltwater grass flats and was pretty impressed. very easy to throw in the back of a truck and port it on one shoulder.
          2013 WS Ride 135
          2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by rwh View Post
            How about the Perception Pescador or Pescador sport. solid little kayaks, a little heavier than you mentioned, about 56 lbs. I have paddled my daughter's a few miles at a time fishing saltwater grass flats and was pretty impressed. very easy to throw in the back of a truck and port it on one shoulder.
            You might throw 57 pounds around like a sack of potatoes but this arthritic 67 year old won't

I have never seen Perception kayaks. Are they sold by any stores in the Baltimore/Annapolis area?
            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Vibe has a 110 Sea Ghost.
              2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

My river boat is a 9 foot Vibe Skipjack 90 - 46 pounds and available new for $499 with paddle. I’ve been really happy with it on floats on the Potomac and Monacacy.

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                  You might throw 57 pounds around like a sack of potatoes but this arthritic 67 year old won't

I have never seen Perception kayaks. Are they sold by any stores in the Baltimore/Annapolis area?
                  Perception kayaks are made by the same parent company as Wilderness Systems.

https://www.perceptionkayaks.com/us/...ress=baltimore
                  2013 WS Ride 135
                  2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Thanks for the link. I don't use Dick's anymore but I'll drop into West Marine and see what they have.
                    John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

John,

I hesitated responding because you specified an SOT. However, given the waters you intend to fish, an SOT may not be needed. And of course, the extra hull material on any SOT adds weight.

You may want to consider Native's Ultimate 12, which is what I use precisely for the reason you stated (weight) in the kinds of waters you intend to fish. It is single hulled but it has floatation in the bow and stern. It is very stable, thanks to a channeled hull, yet its sharp lines and 12 foot length offer easy paddling and straight tracking. It weighs 49 pounds.

I rarely see them on the water here but this past weekend as I fished in three Delaware ponds I saw two other Ultimate 12s on the water. I chatted with each owner and neither had anything to say but positives about the boat as a fishing platform. In fact one, bought his Ultimate on the recommendation of the other and both transport them in the backs of their pickups. I car-top mine.

As you can see from my signature line I also own a Hobie Revo which is a wonderful boat for fishing bigger waters. I have been on 10 separate outings thus far in 2018 but my Hobie has stayed in my garage. Right now I am concentrating on tidal creeks and ponds and will continue to do until the striper bite picks up in the areas I like to fish for them. Even then, I will take my Ultimate instead of my Hobie when I fish exclusively in tidal creeks. It's that light, convenient and comfortable. It's hard to leave home when I head to the water!

My Ultimate therefore gives me a way to get on smaller waters easily, without carrying a lot of gear and weight -- which is what I think you want to do. As I age, there will come a time when my Hobie will be too much boat for me. But I fully expect my Ultimate will be my last kayak because I hope to be able to explore creeks and ponds for a long time.

Good luck in your search. A second boat for different applications is a great idea.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The Native Ultimate 12 is a simple, roomy, and light kayak. It exceeds your stated length preference, but weighs under 50 pounds and paddles nicely. Several Snaggedline members in your age range enjoy their Ultimate 12s.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The native looks nice but it is about $500 more than I want to spend.
                          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Are you looking at the Ultimate or the Ultimate FX? The Ultimate FX is a newer design with more features but also more weight. The Ultimate 12 lists at retail for under $1000. You may be able to find a shop that has a left over Ultimate from a previous model year that would sell at a discount.

I hope you enjoy whichever lightweight kayak you decide to get. I used to use heavier paddle and pedal kayaks, but as I aged I sold them and switched to smaller lighter ones.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Vibe Skipjack 90 is 46 pounds and 500 bucks.
                              Green Old Town Loon 111
                              Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Working...
                              X