No announcement yet.

July 14, 2018 Meet & Greet at Lowes Wharf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it was indeed very successful and it was nice to reconnect or finally meet folks I know only through this forum.

Keith's experience was similar to mine and most everyone else I think. Most of those who came to lunch said they caught about 20 schoolies. I did too. Nothing big for me but my very first cast of the day yielded a topwater swirl. I worked hard for a popper hookup which I final got. But topwater interest for me stopped after that catch. I reverted to subsurface lures.

Of the roughly 500 fish caught by approximately 25 attendees (my estimate on total catch), I heard of four fish exceeding 20 inches, including one that was 26 inches. Congrats to all who nailed bigger fish.

This is the size I believe most of us caught:

P1030969.jpg P1030974.jpg P1030976.jpg

They were great fun on light tackle. I'd troll a little and when I found them, I'd stop and cast. I used mostly paddletails. I got a few on a Rat-L-Trap but grass was thick and it was easier to get a jig and soft plastic trailer through it.

Here are a few shots of others on the water:

P1030960.jpg P1030973.jpg P1030978.jpg

And moving backward, here's a photo of the launch:

P1030957.jpg

It was a high falling tide when we departed. The wind laid down somewhat as the sun rose creating nearly perfect conditions.

Thanks to Coop for organizing. I had a very good time. I'm positive I wasn't alone in that.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-15-2018, 08:30 AM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark,

Very nice recap of the day, and you are correct in saying that you are not alone!

As I have said earlier in this thread, I am a relative newbie, and had never fished on the bay with a kayak. I stick mostly to freshwater since I started doing this last year. But finding this board last year inspired me, and when I saw Coop's announcement, I decided to do a little experiment. There were three components to my experiment.

1. Will I physically be able to do it? (I paddle....I know...I know...there is going to be a purchase in my future!) Well I did, and although I was a little stiff yesterday and a little sore this morning, I am pleased with the effort I put in and with the results.

2. Will I find fish? With some help from a lot of you, I was able to do that. When I thought about what it would be like to fish with a big group in kayaks, I never imagined that we could fish together close enough to hold a conversation between 4 or 5 guys while all of us hooked up consistently. It was amazing to see.

3. Will I enjoy it? That goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway. I called my wife before lunch and she asked if I had a good time. I told her it was everything I hoped it would be and more. The weather, the conditions on the water, the fishing, the company, the knowledge I acquired...all of it combined to make for an amazing day.

Now to the fishing - When I finally got over to "the house" I thought I would find some perch, so I started casting my ultra-lite. Nothing going on there, so I switched over to a swim bait. Hadn't hooked up yet, but Martin came by and asked what I was using. He shared a ZMan Diezel with me, and literally hooked up on the second cast - my first fish of the day was a shortie not worth measuring, but the skunk was off and I was on my way. I caught a 17" striper no less than 5 minutes later. Coop gave me another one, and I proceeded to catch a couple on that one too. After some knot failures and losing a rig or two, I switched to what Mark recommended earlier in the thread and caught fish on that color too. Earlier in the day, it seemed like the fish were dialed in on that clear glittery Zman, but later in the day, it didn't seem to matter.

My totals on the day were 7 fish total - 3 at 17", 3 at 16" and that one shortie I didn't measure. Not quite the numbers of some of the other guys, but I'll chalk that up to being a rookie. But now that I have my first trip under my belt, I expect future trips to be better.

And after the fishing, at lunch there was cold Corona, fish tacos, good company, great conversation, and bikinis! And to all of you that shared knowledge and gear with me, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. And to the guys that I didn't get to talk to or introduce myself to, I hope there will be more trips when I can get to know you.

Regards,

Steve
      Bel Air, MD
      2015 Hobie Revolution 13
      2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Here is the thread under the Maryland Fishing reports where you can post your pictures and synopsis of the day.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...s-Wharf-Update
        MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
        2016 Hobie Outback LE
        Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
        https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Steve,

I am right there with you as a 1st timer on the bay in a Kayak and one who also paddled across the bay!! We talked at the restaurant and discussed our paddle battle through the 1 footers in the morning. Besides being exhausted when I got home, I feel pretty good. But as you stated, I am already looking into getting a Hobie Pro Angler 12. I rarely fish saltwater and with the help of Tom who I met at Bass Pro, he set me up with the Zman swim baits and got me excited for the day.

I want to thank everyone for their hospitality, fishing tips, sharing of equipment, and conversation!! I was hoping for the best when I crossed the bay and got to the "House" as well. I worked the wall a bit and met up with another along the boat dock. Together we got zero fish, I decided to move over to the rocks after watching some Youtube videos the night before and found a honey hole near the double tube with fast water flowing and plenty of baitfish. Just learning how to use a baitcaster, i threw it out with a Zman crystal ice. 2 casts later, I landed my first Striper ever on a Kayak and my first fish ever with a baitcaster!! I stayed in the same spot for the next 2 hours catching 21 stripers with the largest being 17".

I then started the trek back across the bay paddling my ass off and trying not to get run over by the power boats thinking of the Ice Cold Orange Crush waiting for me after a successful day of fishing!! Although, I did not get a chance to meet everyone for those I did and spoke with, thanks again for everything and your hospitality for a new guy. Coop, thank you for putting this together. I hope to see everyone again on my new Hobie pedal boat!!

Respectfully,
          Adam aka Zeke
          2018 Hobie PA 12 Camo
          2017 Ascend FS12 Camo

Comment

It was a great time at the meet and greet. Thanks for hosting it Coop. I took a young angler with me who recently got a vibe 11. He does not have much experience with kayak fishing so we stayed close to the launch. We fished the shorelines and probably never travelled more than a half mile from the launch. While everyone else seemed to be using small paddle tails, we used 14 Tony's with good success. I caught over 25 fish with a 20 incher the largest. I also lost a good fish that pulled a lot of drag. I was using a light action rod with 6 lb. nanofil so it was a blast catching the many 17 inchers. My friend Drew had a great day as well.

Comment

I had such a great day- it was so much fun to fish w/ other yakers and see a new place. I caught about 30 rock between 17" & 23". It was nonstop action for a lot of us, starting near the dock by the house... fishing just seemed to turn on around 8am or so. One thing I wasn't expecting and thought was incredible, was how many people showed up who were new to the sport. I talked to several people who'd been thinking about kayak fishing for years, took the plunge, bought a boat and this forum gave them the opportunity & confidence to try something like a 2 mile paddle to an island to catch a ton of rock... what an intro! Thank you Coop for organizing and to all who participate in this forum. It isn't only fun, it is important for safety and enjoyment. Tight lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan the Man View Post
                I had such a great day- it was so much fun to fish w/ other yakers and see a new place. I caught about 30 rock between 17" & 23". It was nonstop action for a lot of us, starting near the dock by the house... fishing just seemed to turn on around 8am or so. One thing I wasn't expecting and thought was incredible, was how many people showed up who were new to the sport. I talked to several people who'd been thinking about kayak fishing for years, took the plunge, bought a boat and this forum gave them the opportunity & confidence to try something like a 2 mile paddle to an island to catch a ton of rock... what an intro! Thank you Coop for organizing and to all who participate in this forum. It isn't only fun, it is important for safety and enjoyment. Tight lines.
                I echo Dan's sentiments. Thanks again Coop. Kayaking with others is always safer....strength in numbers.
                MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                2016 Hobie Outback LE
                Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Working...
                X