October M&G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• October M&G

I must say that when we set up the South River M&G last February, I completely forgot that I would have to work the boat show on the 8th and 15th of October. If it is acceptable to the group, could we please move the October date to October 1 or October 22, on the South River. Sorry for any problems this may cause. I will attach a poll to this thread for opinions. The change in date is not a problem with the community association, as they are glad that we want to return to the marina. I can be at either of the dates, October 1 or 22 and am more than happy to have the M&G here again.
    October 1, 2011
    28.57%
    October 22, 2011
    64.29%
    Select another location.
    7.14%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by DOGFISH; 09-11-2011, 10:21 PM.

Whoa, thght.

Comment

I'd go either way. What do we fish for in South River that time of year?? What will the water temp be?
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Just a thought, maybe the little bit of additional time on Oct 22 might give us a little better water conditions. But who knows...............

Comment

Either date is good for me, but I voted for 22 based on On the Fly's comment.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I vote the 22nd

Comment

22 means cold weather gear...should be plenty warm on the 2nd......
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

22nd gets my vote...
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Prolly wont be too cold yet... I fished the HRBT in mid November last year and it was in the 60s at night...
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Last year we had it on the South River in November and the water was still in the upper 40s, but getting cold. However, it was only a few weeks after that when the cold really set in. This year the 22nd will give things time to calm down a bit from the storms. Either would work for temperatures. The river most likely will still be in the mid to upper 50s.

The stripers will be in the river feeding on peanut bunker. That will be the most popular. I usually troll. Even though last year at the M&G, vertical jigging seemed to be the way to go. The fish are usually holding on ledges or at drop offs, depending on the tide. The chart to look at on the NOAA web site is 12270. I generally fish somwhere between the #4 and the #6 channel markers. However, the lighthouse and the shoals around Thomas Point itself are within paddle distance. The area towards the West River also may hold fish. It is not uncommon to have breaking fish in the mouth of the river.

There are also lots of docks along the shore for those who like to white perch fish. I'll write more as we select the dates. It is generally a very good place to fish. October should be better than November. The cold of last year started to shut things down. Even though the weather of the meet and greet was great. This should help you to get started planning.

Comment

I agree on the 22 nd. Plenty of time for the bay to get back to cleaner conditions and the temps should be ok and that is prime time for the bay.

Time to start dusting off the waders.

Comment

if you dig around on the ndbc tplm2 site, you can find historic temps for the thomas point lighthouse on the bay.

shallower waters tend to warm, and cool a little quicker but should be similar.

Comment

Drat! If it becomes the 22nd it'll be the first M&G that I'll miss. That's my son's 21st B-day so I'm planning a family event.

Seems the poll is leaning towards the 22nd. So Don, if you're up for company on the 1st as well... Maybe we can get a mini M&G together and have 2 this October! :-)

Comment

Ya know, we could do that.

Comment

I'm in!

Comment

Working...
                              X