No announcement yet.

Nov. 9-- Meet & Greet: Point Lookout!! Ictalurus sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camelbird I'll take you up on that offer. I'm 6'0 215 so they should fit I think.
    Jeff B
    Perception Sport 12.5 Caster

Comment

hey guys. please take the lunch poll!
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

hopefully, I will be back in town off a road trip in time to join up- PLO is one of my favorite fishing spots-every year I get real busy about now- the damn government shutdown and stupid, costly furloughs have compounded the problem...dysfunctional Congress is killing America- anyway, three, back-to-back road trips will cut deeply into my fishing...although I maybe able to slide a King Salmon trip in on the Oregon trip- I still have a few pounds in my freezer from my last trip out there-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by beerums View Post
          Camelbird I'll take you up on that offer. I'm 6'0 215 so they should fit I think.
          Cool man I'll bring them with me

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
            Water temps are down so you'll need waders or dry suit. somewhere in the archives is advice on this cold weather yakking but we are fishing together which adds to dsafety, but good pfd, waders and waterproof top are basic coldweather safety gear.
            appreciate the advise, I definitely have been doing my research on a set of waders but as far as a waterproof top do you have any recommendations?

Comment

I have a columbia splash jacket.http://www.backcountry.com/images/it...981/DARCYA.jpg...by far the cheapest semi dry top out there. if weather is nice many guys just use waders cinched tight.

Comment

Tides for Cornfield Harbor, Md. starting with November 9, 2013.

9 High 6:12 AM 1.3 6:40 AM
                9 Low 11:58 AM 0.1 4:58 PM
                9 High 6:33 PM 1.4

Winds:

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/p...ookout_potomac

Hours of Operation

6 a.m. to Sunset
                Certain activities are permitted outside of the regular park hours (e.g. fishing, boat launch, hunting where permitted). Please check with the park before your visit if you plan to engage in an activity which requires you to be in the park before or after the posted hours.

Contact Point Lookout
                Phone: 301-872-5688

Tacklebox - Bait and Tackle Shop
                22035 Three Notch Road, Lexington Park, Maryland
                (301) 863-8151

Comment

Ill be there
                  Native Watercraft Pro Staff
                  2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
                  33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
                  2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

In case you missed it in the "lunch" thread. Monocacykayak wrote:

"Monocacykayak will be coming with a friend both of us are part of the ValleyMill Boat Shop's,Jackson Kayak fishing team. We will have 2 kayaks a Big Tuna14 and a Cuda 12 which we will be using which folks can view or take a test paddle after fishing.We will also be able to answer any questions about these kayaks ."

we are now.......
                    SUN
                    Moc
                    Kitkatyakker
                    Talonangler
                    monocacykayak and friend
                    D3Nal1
                    Ronault
                    Ictalarus
                    Redfish
                    Rockchaser
                    Chexone
                    BigT
                    Buzz
                    Kevinfry
                    Camelbird
                    Scorpioreno
                    clm
                    coop,
                    Dogfish????
                    Beerums
                    whenican?
                    MonoccyKayak and buddy!
                    kohbombed
                    AbuMashgouf
                    Lee337
                    Daddyg
                    Meadeo
                    Jambone
                    Echo5oscar

Gonna be fun!
                    Last edited by kevinfry; 11-04-2013, 09:30 PM. Reason: updating

Comment

Hello all. This is my first post but I have been reading everything for the last month or so. I would like to attend the M&G on the 9th. I am new to Kayak fishing but have been fishing my kayak on the Shenandoah and Patomac rivers near Harpers Ferry. I have only been out 5 or 6 times but have managed to stay dry and have caught allot of fish. I think my Kayak is sea worthy but it is a sit inside flatwater Kayak and is not designed for big ocean water. I have done a lot of work to my Kayak so I could take it to the Bay Bridge which has been a long time dream. I would like to ask for your help and guidence in order to be safe and successful. Strong emphasis on being SAFE. I don't want to go in the drink. I will be comming from Harpers Ferry so I would like to give a quick list of my gear so you will know what you are dealing with and make any necessary suggestions.
                      Gear:
                      Riot Enduro Angler 12
                      Good PFD
                      Improved on Yakgear designed outriggers
                      Motorguide 45lbs saltwater trolling motor
                      Half Skirt to help keep dry when paddling
                      Uniden marine radio
                      Garmin Echo 200 Fishfinder
                      Cell phone with Fish Allerts!
                      Safety whistle and horn
                      Safety flag
                      Running and Navigation lights
                      Rain bibs and water proof diving/paddling boots. And some warm stuff...
                      Maryland Saltwater/Freshwater Fishing License
                      Way too many fishing poles, will try to limit myself to a couple...
                      Oh Yah, and a Paddle.

Comment

The OBX_Rat is back once again I'll be there for a little while
                        '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
                        '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
                        Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

Looks like I'll be coming too. Count me in.

Outback 2015
                          Maui

Comment

Originally posted by bitor2112 View Post
                            Hello all. This is my first post but I have been reading everything for the last month or so. I would like to attend the M&G on the 9th. I am new to Kayak fishing but have been fishing my kayak on the Shenandoah and Patomac rivers near Harpers Ferry. I have only been out 5 or 6 times but have managed to stay dry and have caught allot of fish. I think my Kayak is sea worthy but it is a sit inside flatwater Kayak and is not designed for big ocean water. I have done a lot of work to my Kayak so I could take it to the Bay Bridge which has been a long time dream. I would like to ask for your help and guidence in order to be safe and successful. Strong emphasis on being SAFE. I don't want to go in the drink. I will be comming from Harpers Ferry so I would like to give a quick list of my gear so you will know what you are dealing with and make any necessary suggestions.
                            Gear:
                            Riot Enduro Angler 12
                            Good PFD
                            Improved on Yakgear designed outriggers
                            Motorguide 45lbs saltwater trolling motor
                            Half Skirt to help keep dry when paddling
                            Uniden marine radio
                            Garmin Echo 200 Fishfinder
                            Cell phone with Fish Allerts!
                            Safety whistle and horn
                            Safety flag
                            Running and Navigation lights
                            Rain bibs and water proof diving/paddling boots. And some warm stuff...
                            Maryland Saltwater/Freshwater Fishing License
                            Way too many fishing poles, will try to limit myself to a couple...
                            Oh Yah, and a Paddle.
                            I think the equipment list is extensive...your safety equipment is not the problem with big open water...the problem with big water is getting that water inside a sit inside kayak- unless you have a crack in the hull or an open hatch cover that won't happen with a sit on top- and once you lose the buoyancy factor all bets are off- personally, I could never in good faith recommend a sit inside kayak for fishing the Bay-
                            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply.

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                              I think the equipment list is extensive...your safety equipment is not the problem with big open water...the problem with big water is getting that water inside a sit inside kayak- unless you have a crack in the hull or an open hatch cover that won't happen with a sit on top- and once you lose the buoyancy factor all bets are off- personally, I could never in good faith recommend a sit inside kayak for fishing the Bay-
                              Taking on water is a big concern. I have the 2013 model Enduro 12 that comes with sealed bulkheads front and rear. I have added some additional sealing to the hatch covers on both ends. As for the main bathtub where I sit I have wired in an electric automatic bilge pump to my accessory battery. I also carry a battery powered bilge pump as a backup. My outriggers use 8 shrimp flats that are supposed to float 30lbs each for additional buoyancy and make it very difficult to turtle the yak. If it does turn over it should still float and be an island of safety. I am most worried about taking waves directly from the front or rear and getting swamped. I am working on a couple of ideas to help channel water away from the hole that wont be to intrusive. I am an engineer by trade and will likely come up with something that has a good chance of going either way. With luck and knowing when to pack it up run for cover I hope to stay topside. Thanks again for your advice.

Comment

+1 on what Ron said, however, you seem to have many improvements on keeping your yak afloat. I have seen many kayakers out on the Bay with SIK, but they have always been out there with other kayaker. So I guess it would be strength and safety in numbers. I remember before I had a kayak, I use to use a canoe with an electric trolling motor and fish under the Bay Bridge all the time without incident. I would always only go out on the best days with low chop.

You also have a marine radio so you can stay in contact with others. We typically use channel 68 or 69 when a group of us go out. So far the weather seems ok for Saturday, but you can not be sure until Friday afternoon, since the weather predictions seem to change all the time. So far it looks like 57 degrees for a high with 4 to 6 mph winds in the morning and 5 to 10 mph shifting to the SSE in the afternoon. Seems like good weather. Let's hope it holds.

In any case, with decent weather and what looks to be over 30 kayakers attending the M&G, you should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X