CHSP May 2nd Report - Big Blues, Many togs, and a Flounder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
    Smoked blue, the best way I like eating them.
    Nice. How was it? My smoker is seasoned up just right for smoking meat and I'm worried about putting blues in there. I guess I can wash it after I smoke the fish, so I will try smoking some if I get one next time (I smoke salmon in there occasionally and wash it down afterwards...I'm nitpicky about my smoker and proper seasoning without foul smells is important to me). Did you brine or marinade them before smoking?

Good to hear there will be more folks out at chsp Friday...we will surely catch some more nice fish.

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
      Mustafa,
      On my PFD, the orange box is for my phone. My radio will be set to channel 68. I am fishing mother's day weekend, Sat for sure. Call me when you get there.

Joe
      Hey Joe,

I won't be able to be there Saturday. I'm going for the day Friday. I'll give you a call Thursday to touch base.
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
        Nice. How was it? My smoker is seasoned up just right for smoking meat and I'm worried about putting blues in there. I guess I can wash it after I smoke the fish, so I will try smoking some if I get one next time (I smoke salmon in there occasionally and wash it down afterwards...I'm nitpicky about my smoker and proper seasoning without foul smells is important to me). Did you brine or marinade them before smoking?

Good to hear there will be more folks out at chsp Friday...we will surely catch some more nice fish.
        Of course, it was delicious!

Yeah, soak it in brine (kosher salt, soy sauce, sugar, water) overnight. Remove from brine and let it dry out for 4-5 hours. Smoke about 200 deg for 2 hrs.

The smoker is kamado-style (Big Green Egg). Unlike other smokers, it self-cleans. Does not retain smell. We've smoked fish, chicken, beef, and pork in it before. No smell transfer. Have used it 17 yrs.

I may see you guys on Sat too.
        Attached Files
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Heading there tomorrow. I can't take it anymore. What time does the park open? I've only fished there once and can't remember what time they allow you in.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I'll be there Friday too.

I'm not sure the park closes RD
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I might head over Saturday too. Got to get some of that blues action. Tufnik, what time are you headed over?

Mobile

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                I might head over Saturday too. Got to get some of that blues action. Tufnik, what time are you headed over?

Mobile
                I'll get there when the blues start biting hysterically...lol.....probably 8-ish, depending on how early the pullage dreams wake me up.

Comment

Thanks, Ryan.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                  Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Hey! Mind if I join you fish catchers on Friday?
                    Sun Fishin'

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                      Heading there tomorrow. I can't take it anymore. What time does the park open? I've only fished there once and can't remember what time they allow you in.
                      I think it's open 24 hrs. When you enter the gate (e.g., 6 am), the attendant will not be there. Use the self-pay box with your $10 (for out of state) in the green envelope.

Comment

would love to have you join Sun!

Here are a few shots from my gopro

17 Tautog.jpgFat Female Tautog.jpgGiant Toadfish 2.jpg
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

havent taken the yak out to CHSP before...would love to join you guys on saturday. anything different to expect when fishing there versus the bay? def looks rougher out near the walls where you guys tog
                          Michael
                          2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                          Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Originally posted by Sun View Post
                            Hey! Mind if I join you fish catchers on Friday?
                            OMG! HE LIVES! LOL it's been a while bro! Looking forward to seeing you
                            -Mustafa
                            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by Mbae View Post
                              havent taken the yak out to CHSP before...would love to join you guys on saturday. anything different to expect when fishing there versus the bay? def looks rougher out near the walls where you guys tog
                              The current seems to rip through there pretty good. The outer wall looks like it would be a pretty good haul if you are paddling, even pedaling it would take a while. The innner wall is not very far from the launch. It is very shallow at low tide for a long ways out if you launch to the right of the old pier...I had to paddle my hobie a while before I could use the mirage drive and I probably dropped my rudder a little early since it was dragging just a bit...I don't think the tide was out all the way when I launched, but close.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                                The current seems to rip through there pretty good. The outer wall looks like it would be a pretty good haul if you are paddling, even pedaling it would take a while. The innner wall is not very far from the launch. It is very shallow at low tide for a long ways out if you launch to the right of the old pier...I had to paddle my hobie a while before I could use the mirage drive and I probably dropped my rudder a little early since it was dragging just a bit...I don't think the tide was out all the way when I launched, but close.
                                The current toward the outer wall near beach side can be very strong. Also the water can be very choppy (turns the kayak around). This is due to the strong current, and the depth changes from 90' to 10' (near the beach). I got scared many times. The better route is about a half mile off the beach during East/South East wind @10mph plus.
                                One day it took me over 2 hours from the outer wall to the launch site. I was battling against current and the wind. That was why I posted current and tide info before the CHSP and CBBT trips. I wanted to remind myself smart pedaling plan. I wanted to move long distance with the current not against if I had choices.

One more important thing at CHSP:
                                I carry a heavy load on my kayak. Launching and especially coming back during the low tide is something I should avoid. Being a small guy, dragging a 120-140 LB kayak on the wet sand/mud, and very shallow water is too much work. When you face the pier from the parking lot, the left side path is better than the right side path. The water is deeper on the left side and less distance from parking lot to the beach.

Joe
                                Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-05-2015, 07:31 AM.
                                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                                X