CHSP May 2nd Report - Big Blues, Many togs, and a Flounder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
    The current seems to rip through there pretty good. The outer wall looks like it would be a pretty good haul if you are paddling, even pedaling it would take a while. The innner wall is not very far from the launch. It is very shallow at low tide for a long ways out if you launch to the right of the old pier...I had to paddle my hobie a while before I could use the mirage drive and I probably dropped my rudder a little early since it was dragging just a bit...I don't think the tide was out all the way when I launched, but close.

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
    The current toward the outer wall near beach side can be very strong. Also the water can be very choppy (turns the kayak around). This is due to the strong current, and the depth changes from 90' to 10' (near the beach). I got scared many times. The better route is about a half mile off the beach during East/South East wind @10mph plus.
    One day it took me over 2 hours from the outer wall to the launch site. I was battling against current and the wind. That was why I posted current and tide info before the CHSP and CBBT trips. I wanted to remind myself smart pedaling plan. I wanted to move long distance with the current not against if I had choices.

One more important thing at CHSP:
    I carry a heavy load on my kayak. Launching and especially coming back during the low tide is something I should avoid. Being a small guy, dragging a 120-140 LB kayak on the wet sand/mud, and very shallow water is too much work. When you face the pier from the parking lot, the left side path is better than the right side path. The water is deeper on the left side and less distance from parking lot to the beach.

Joe
    thanks for the info guys... john mentioned the inner wall being closer from the launch than the outer. do tog bite at the inner wall too? or do you guys mostly tog at the outer wall? being my first time yaking at CHSP i figured it may be better to play it safe especially if the conditions are rough that day. and also since id have to paddle (will def be investing in a hobie sometime in the future ) its crazy to think that the depth of the water can change so drastically from 90' to 10'. i am def hoping to go out the first few times with some more experienced members here so i can get a better feel for it.

thanks again!
    Michael
    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
    Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

At the end of the Outer wall at the lighthouse I've seen it reach 120'+; we go through here often on a 24' CC. The few times I've gone to the outerwall in the 'Yak I've always caught fish, but Joe is so right...it can get hairy and sometimes downright scary. Many times I fish alone and have decided that I won't fish the outerwall without a buddy. Inner wall is super easy and downright pleasant. Seals, Dolphins and Ospreys are still prevalent depending on the time of year as well, so you can get your fill of wildlife. Neat place for sure.
      Hobie Outback - Orange

Where Land Ends...Life Begins

Comment

Michael (Mbae),
        Stay at the Inner Wall. There are plenty of togs at the inner wall, ocean side (opposite side of the pier).
        Make sure you have the DE saltwater fishing license. I forgot about that so I had to stop by a bait store for the license last Saturday morning.

Since you never did tog fishing, you may stick with an experienced kayakers. You need to learn some technique. Bring at least 12 3 oz sinkers and 12 tog rigs since you are a beginner.

I bring 30 fresh shrimp only (head on, 50-70 count, $4.99-$5.99 at a Asian groceries, Total cost of 30 shrimp is $6 - $7) in a cooler with bunch of iced water bottles. You may buy other baits at some bait stores. But there is a chance that baits are not available at the bait stores.

I am fishing on Saturday (95% sure). I will be there at 07:00AM and launch at 07:45AM. You can find me easily on the water. Look for the red Hobie and a Black helmet with a Gopro.

Joe
        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-05-2015, 09:04 AM.
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Might be down for outer wall Fri or Saturday if anybody wants to roll. Thought about it last time, but my visicarbon broke on the way to inner wall and visibility of my yak is pretty low without a flag with all those boats out there. It does not look quite as far as cbbt 1st island trek but close.

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
            Michael (Mbae),
            Stay at the Inner Wall. There are plenty of togs at the inner wall, ocean side (opposite side of the pier).
            Make sure you have the DE saltwater fishing license. I forgot about that so I had to stop by a bait store for the license last Saturday morning.

Since you never did tog fishing, you may stick with an experienced kayakers. You need to learn some technique. Bring at least 12 3 oz sinkers and 12 tog rigs since you are a beginner.

I bring 30 fresh shrimp only (head on, 50-70 count, $4.99-$5.99 at a Asian groceries, Total cost of 30 shrimp is $6 - $7) in a cooler with bunch of iced water bottles. You may buy other baits at some bait stores. But there is a chance that baits are not available at the bait stores.

I am fishing on Saturday (95% sure). I will be there at 07:00AM and launch at 07:45AM. You can find me easily on the water. Look for the red Hobie and a Black helmet with a Gopro.

Joe
            thanks for the tips joe. ive fished for tog plenty of times from shore using green crab and sand fleas but never with shrimp and never from a yak yet. hope i can make it saturday and the weather stays nice!
            Michael
            Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

+1 on it being hairy and downright scary if you veer off at the outer wall. Got caught in a scary situation of winds and waves on the first time I and a buddy went out there. All of a sudden I was in 100+ feet of water going up and down 2 ft and no matter how hard I peddled, I wasn't getting any closer. Eventually I got there but you need to have your bearings right and stay between the walls and you'll be ok. We ended up veering away from the wall's protection when we were heading back that time
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I have attached a Google Earth image of CHSP and circled a few structures I noticed. Which is actually the inner and outer walls?
                chsp.jpg
                Michael
                Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Originally posted by Mbae View Post
                  I have attached a Google Earth image of CHSP and circled a few structures I noticed. Which is actually the inner and outer walls?
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]15567[/ATTACH]
                  Blue is inner wall, red is another pier.

The outerwall is past the horn of the bay
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Hey Mbae,

I'm also a newbie when it comes to tautog fishing and I'm hoping that I can make it out there for the first time at CHSP this weekend as well!
                    I believe the blue circle is the inner wall while there is another structure past the sandy point above that would be the outer wall - correct me if i'm wrong haha

I'll be bringing my 2011 wildy 120 if I make it and hopefully I can tag along with some of the more experienced members here to learn!
                    Nikki

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120
                    Liquid Logic Manta Ray 14

Comment

oh wow i see the outer wall now..... i also see what looks like someone in a red kayak out there on google earth
                      yeah looks like ill be staying at the inner wall for sure! thanks for the clarification guys.
                      Michael
                      Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Originally posted by keahyun View Post
                        Hey Mbae,

I'm also a newbie when it comes to tautog fishing and I'm hoping that I can make it out there for the first time at CHSP this weekend as well!
                        I believe the blue circle is the inner wall while there is another structure past the sandy point above that would be the outer wall - correct me if i'm wrong haha

I'll be bringing my 2011 wildy 120 if I make it and hopefully I can tag along with some of the more experienced members here to learn!
                        nikki i look forward to seeing you out there! i will be bringing my girlfriend along as well as a few other friends who have not yaked before at CHSP. it will be a learning process for all of us!
                        Michael
                        Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

I fished the outer wall on Sunday for tog and caught some before the current started ripping out. Without a motor I would have been screwed. I'd advise most
                          Yakers to not go out there, I caught bigger ones at the inner anyways
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I just got back from a morning out there today fishing for blues. Launched at 7 and pulled out at 10. I physically saw the Blues there twice this morning, first at the surface in 15' of water and then I spooked a couple in 5'. I managed to land two this morning and break off another. I also pulled out a 14" striper. A friend of mine was on his way down as I was on my way up. Hopefully he will have a little better luck. There was close to a 20mph wind when I launched, it was probably half that when I left so it should be nice this afternoon.
                            Last edited by willf650; 05-05-2015, 12:50 PM.
                            1980 Something Old Town Canoe
                            2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
                            2015 Coosa HD
                            2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
                            2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

I also went today. A friend and I fished from 6:30-12:00. I ended up with 8 blues and he ended up with 4. The two largest were 38". None were smaller than 30". All really nice fish. A ton of fun. We lost several more before we added some thin wire leader to our setups. I half-heartedly tried for tog and got a few bites, but I couldn't stay away from the big blues for long.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

i hope they are still around this saturday. im def more excited for the blues than the tog bite! will try for flounder too
                                Michael
                                Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Working...
                                X