No announcement yet.

CHSP May 2nd Report - Big Blues, Many togs, and a Flounder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's gonna be a war zone Saturday. My buddy fished it this afternoon and said head boats have now moved in running chum slicks. He also said he had to pull his fins to avoid a charter boat trolling with lines out 150yds.

He mentioned the boats literally following him around and swooping in when he hooked up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Originally posted by willf650 View Post
      It's gonna be a war zone Saturday. My buddy fished it this afternoon and said head boats have now moved in running chum slicks. He also said he had to pull his fins to avoid a charter boat trolling with lines out 150yds.

He mentioned the boats literally following him around and swooping in when he hooked up.

Really? I only saw 2 or 3 boats anywhere near where we were fishing last week. I saw a bunch of them anchored up inside the outer wall though.

Comment

CHSP May 2nd Report - Big Blues, Many togs, and a Flounder

Here's a party boat that he sent me a pic of around 2:30. Might be a little hard to make out but the center boat is a head boat that was chumming according to him. There are three boats framed in this in this picture at 2:30 on a weekday. The way he described it, it was starting to become a pain.

Also said a guy fishing on the beach gave him a bunch of crap about kayaks ruining everything and attracting boats when he was pulling out.

Last edited by willf650; 05-05-2015, 09:45 PM.
        2015 Coosa HD

Comment

Damn, that sucks....I bet some of them are reading this thread and word got out. Should have told the guy on the beach it is probably the other way around...I never see anything about kayak reports on the fishing report websites but plenty about surf fishing catches. Guess we just have to deal with it...other places I fish get pretty crowded with boats and same stuff happens when we start catching there too (sometimes they motor on over when they see us catching and send the fish away with their loud engines).

-Just saw this thread actually has over 1.5k views in the last several days.
          Last edited by JohnE; 05-06-2015, 06:36 AM.

Comment

I am not going to ruin my precious fishing day.

I was so used to fish with power boats circling around me and sharing information. When I had fish on, I often used a whistle then shout "fish on". Then they knew I wasn't quite mobile, and gave me more room to land fish. This happened a lot in wide open waters in Chesapeake Bay. I thought charter boat captains were desperate and pressured. I just felt bad for them because fishing was their job while I was enjoying fishing without pressure and I didn't have to catch fish. I didn't and I won't get mad because getting mad or frustrated will ruin my precious fishing day. When I am fishing I am in a very good mood. After all we are all fellow fishermen regardless how or why individual fishes.

So far, some of the members were well prepared. Someone caught big bluefish. He gave Dan's friend the tip. Dan's friend talked with Dan. Dan tipped us off. And some of us jumped on it quickly and informed other members. Some jumped on it quickly again.

Well I think I will be prepared for many surf fishermen, kayaks and boats on Saturday. The beach is long. Somehow if bluefish are still available, we will find the fish where no boats are present. If boats come to us, that means we are having fun catching.

Joe
            Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-06-2015, 07:42 AM.
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Yeah, I don't mind too much...just part of the game. Most boaters are pretty nice. I am a little worried about them running steel leaders out that far because of my mirage drive, but I watch the boats close and try to stay as far away as I can. We get a little spoiled at cbbt since the boats can't really get on the pilings where we are most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                Damn, that sucks....I bet some of them are reading this thread and word got out.

-Just saw this thread actually has over 1.5k views in the last several days.
                I don't think its specifically here that people are seeing this. I'm sure it has more kayakers interested now, myself included. I know I'm new to saltwater kayak fishing but was going to go out there anyway prior to last weekend. I was going to go blue fishing there the weekend before anyone posted anything about blues on this website but needed to study for my last tests and final night school exams.

I heard about the Blues being in the bay two weeks before they were first mentioned on this site. The word was already out through other channels. Surf fisherman were where I heard the news.
                Last edited by willf650; 05-06-2015, 10:11 AM.
                2015 Coosa HD

Comment

Originally posted by willf650 View Post
                  I don't think its specifically here that people are seeing this. I'm sure it has more kayakers interested now, myself included. I know I'm new to saltwater kayak fishing but was going to go out there anyway prior to last weekend. I was going to go blue fishing there the weekend before anyone posted anything about blues on this website but needed to study for my last tests and final night school exams.

I heard about the Blues being in the bay two weeks before they were first mentioned on this site. The word was already out through other channels. Surf fisherman were where I heard the news.
                  Yeah, big blues were up that way before anybody on here posted reports. They were being caught along the surf from Assateague north into Delaware starting around the second to last week in April, with Delaware being the better bite. Every tackle shop and bookfacer in the area has had pics up.

You can't keep a great bite a secret anymore these days. Just enjoy it while you can!
                  Brian

Comment

I was there yesterday, following the head boat its was fun. I plan to return Saturday. The boaters were loving me, they were watching me for the fish. Most of the boats were casting up to the bank in 2'-3' of water to catch them. I just stayed around the light house on the inner wall watching the fish finder for big schools. Drop a jig down about 20' and blam it was on. No sooner did I bring up 2-3 blues the boats were on me lol. I seem to catch bigger blues 35" plus in the deep water schools, then up near the shore. I would just circle the boats find the school drop a lure reel them in. Most I the boaters were cool asking how I was catching so fast. I fished from 1pm-6:30pm was hot when the head boat was there, it pulled out around 3. Then around 4 it was on again. I lost count landed about 12-15? blues, lost about 10-12. About 4 to 5 were over 36". At one point I almost lost my pole! Was holding it in my hand with the jig just under the surface, moving around looking for schools and one shot out and snatched my jig. Just about took my rod out of my hand, I didn't even see it or expect it. I'm by no means a pro lol this is my 2nd time out saltwater fishing in a kayak. I'm usually in pond kayak fishing for bass. But it seems this is the year to be in the right place at the right time. Fellow kayak gentleman showed me how to read the schools on the fish finder, and after that its easy once you find them. I can't say it enough its awesome, most fun I ever had fishing. Reeling in a 35" plus Blue in a kayak PRICELESS! I did however lose 2 turbo fins so far, 30lbs braided line with fighting machine on, darting under yak. The line just sliced through the rubber. But its worth it. Gonna enjoy the ride as long as the blues are here. Hope to be there Saturday!
                    2014 feel free 11.5 lure
                    2015 Hobie 12 olive pro angler

Comment

Originally posted by 2012 Cummins View Post
                      I was there yesterday, following the head boat its was fun. I plan to return Saturday. The boaters were loving me, they were watching me for the fish. Most of the boats were casting up to the bank in 2'-3' of water to catch them. I just stayed around the light house on the inner wall watching the fish finder for big schools. Drop a jig down about 20' and blam it was on. No sooner did I bring up 2-3 blues the boats were on me lol. I seem to catch bigger blues 35" plus in the deep water schools, then up near the shore. I would just circle the boats find the school drop a lure reel them in. Most I the boaters were cool asking how I was catching so fast. I fished from 1pm-6:30pm was hot when the head boat was there, it pulled out around 3. Then around 4 it was on again. I lost count landed about 12-15? blues, lost about 10-12. About 4 to 5 were over 36". At one point I almost lost my pole! Was holding it in my hand with the jig just under the surface, moving around looking for schools and one shot out and snatched my jig. Just about took my rod out of my hand, I didn't even see it or expect it. I'm by no means a pro lol this is my 2nd time out saltwater fishing in a kayak. I'm usually in pond kayak fishing for bass. But it seems this is the year to be in the right place at the right time. Fellow kayak gentleman showed me how to read the schools on the fish finder, and after that its easy once you find them. I can't say it enough its awesome, most fun I ever had fishing. Reeling in a 35" plus Blue in a kayak PRICELESS! I did however lose 2 turbo fins so far, 30lbs braided line with fighting machine on, darting under yak. The line just sliced through the rubber. But its worth it. Gonna enjoy the ride as long as the blues are here. Hope to be there Saturday!
                      That's awesome! If you don't mind what type of jig were you using and how heavy was it? I have a 1.5 oz sting silver, so wanted to see if that would work.

Thanks
                      -Mustafa
                      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I was using 1oz, 1.5 oz and 2oz they all worked. I stuck with white but I think they will bite on anything that is light in color. I'm sorry I was using buck tails uncle josh with movable hook. I tried a 5' paddle tail with a 2oz jig and they kept biting the tail off. So i just went back to a buck tails. Also used a spoon with a single hook that worked too. But I got most of my fish on buck tails.
                        2014 feel free 11.5 lure
                        2015 Hobie 12 olive pro angler

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                          Yeah, big blues were up that way before anybody on here posted reports. They were being caught along the surf from Assateague north into Delaware starting around the second to last week in April, with Delaware being the better bite. Every tackle shop and bookfacer in the area has had pics up.

You can't keep a great bite a secret anymore these days. Just enjoy it while you can!
                          Damn bookfacers! Ruining everything! Lol

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by 2012 Cummins View Post
                            I was using 1oz, 1.5 oz and 2oz they all worked. I stuck with white but I think they will bite on anything that is light in color. I'm sorry I was using buck tails uncle josh with movable hook. I tried a 5' paddle tail with a 2oz jig and they kept biting the tail off. So i just went back to a buck tails. Also used a spoon with a single hook that worked too. But I got most of my fish on buck tails.
                            Thanks bro
                            -Mustafa
                            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                              That's awesome! If you don't mind what type of jig were you using and how heavy was it? I have a 1.5 oz sting silver, so wanted to see if that would work.

Thanks
                              Several minutes ago, Mustafa and I were talking about the possible locations of bluefish when crowded. We talked about the long beach line and, we know there will be plenty of places where no fishing boats will be around.

Last Sat, I saw huge fish readings unusually when I passed the light house in 30'+ water. I thought they were bluefish. But didn't try because I was done with bluefish in the morning.

I will definitely look for the signs of bluefish in deep water. I will bring some sting silvers.

Thanks for the tip.

Joe
                              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Mustafa, make sure you bring more than one stingsilver! I had wire and was still bit off a number of times! The bite off bucktails, a zman shad, a diamond jig, a 2oz popper, and they even ate a bunker I was livelining, the rear hook and then the front hook. Make sure you use some wire and that you bring extra jigs and some zmans if you can find them!

I'm late to posting a report I had a blast watching 2012 Cummings and his buddy on their first saltwater adventure! There were broken rods, broken wire leaders, bite offs, quadruple hook ups, pandemonium as blues went under the boat and some other fun stuff. They even spotted a wolfpack on the flats that you could see tailing which was awesome to be able to get them on top. It was definitely a memorable day!

I got tired from catching blues and took a tog break. Largest was 21" female released, 3 male keepers 16.5, 17.5, 19.5, and a few more smaller female keepers and shorts released. All on jigheads tipped with sandfleas Chimo was kind enough to donate!

I hope the blues stick around for you all next weekend!
                                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X