Rockfish and a naked dude....I've seen it all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
    I am still a beginner at kayak fishing and have only fished the flats 4 times this year. So far I am 50/50. I find it difficult to troll with a paddle kayak, even more difficult to paddle troll with an umbrella rig hanging off each side. The bass definitely like something the replicates schools of bait fish, but also like something with a lot of action. So if your trolling and your rod tips not moving around. Love my waxwings and big rattle traps.
    I've trolled for most of my 43 years on the bay and always look at lures and think that has to look better then a Bucktail or parachute with a shad trailer. I've tried waxwings , rattletraps and stretch 15,20 and 25 and none has caught like parachutes or Bucktails. As far as rod action you aren't going to see much on a stiff trolling rod. I'm using six foot roller tips but when I grab the leader on a tandem parachute and look at the two lures running along side the boat I always think no wonder the rockfish go so hard at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another advantage to parachutes and Bucktails is they troll and track very straight and remain at a certain depth in the water column and are the least likely lure to cause a tangle in you trolling spread. If a crank bait gets fouled while trolling there is no telling where it's going. About 6 or 7 years ago I was reading the fishing reports from Va Beach and they nailing rockfish on Manns Stretch 25's so the day before the fall MSSA Rockfish tourney I bought two stretch 25's to add to the spread. I put the two stretches in the two center spots of the trolling spread with five lines with parachutes and umbrellas on either side. We hit a huge patch of grass in the water unbeknownst to be till I look back and every rod on the boat was tangled to together. The Stretch 25's got weeds stuck to them and they started spinning sideways wiping out all the lines. I lost at least three hundred bucks in Power Pro line getting that mess untangled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X