No announcement yet.

12/13/2015 beautiful day out on Patapsco river

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manny, you were the one with the hooked hand yesterday?

Edit: disregard, I just reread your previous post...

I have been using the fish grip to keep them from shaking a hook into me, so far so good.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
      Manny, you were the one with the hooked hand yesterday?

Edit: disregard, I just reread your previous post...

I have been using the fish grip to keep them from shaking a hook into me, so far so good.
      Back in the day, when I was young and a bit more adventurous, I had a motorcycle.
      Being a new guy to riding, I used to ask seasoned motorcycle bubbas this question, "Have you ever wrecked on your bike?"
      As you can imagine their answer(s) varied somewhat from person to person, but one answer summarized them all.
      The eloquent reply went something like this: "Son, there are two types of motorcycle riders. Those that have wrecked, and those that will."

As a fisherman, I have always remembered those words and taken a similar approach to if/when I would get a hook stuck in me.
      -manny

Hobie Outback
      Wilderness Systems 130T
      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I have wrecked a motorcycle, I still ride. I have been hooked, I'm more careful with hooks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

I have wrecked a motorcycle, I still ride. I have been hooked, I'm more careful with hooks now.

Smart man.
          -manny

Hobie Outback
          Wilderness Systems 130T
          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

12/13/2015 beautiful day out on Patapsco river

I have been asked a few times how deep the fish were, short answer: from surface to ~20'. I got the 24" fish about five seconds after casting that jig Behind me while trolling at my normal 2ish knots.

Edit add: in 15-50 feet of water.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

It was my maiden voyage ... I had a great time! Thanks for Cowpokey for all the help and guidance. Now I understand why a lot of you "troll" with rocket launchers ... need to make one this winter. Brought two fish home to the wife, thanks to Carter! :-)

Nice meeting with some other members too, pleasure to put a face to a name.

Some things I learned:
              1) Need to get a dry suit (I had to pee the last 2 hours really bad). I had ordered one, but got the wrong size. I was wearing waders with a top and belt. But WOW! I understand now why the relief zipper is SO IMPORTANT!!! ... of course, it didn't help that I can see Carter from a distance peeing like 5-6 times through the whole trip.
              2) Set up the rod(s) before launching...
              3) I have no idea how to use the navigation on the Elite 5, need to take a course on Youtube or something.
              4) Cleaning/filleting the fish was NASTY ... lost about 70% of the meat.
              5) Bring water / snack ... totally forgot.
              6) Don't promise the wife you are going to do a list of "Honey to do" list after fishing ... we launched at 7am, thought I would be home my noon to do her list. Got home at 4pm, cleaned the yak and all the equipment. Man! Was SHE MAD!!! :-)

David

Comment

Originally posted by Dkim73 View Post
                It was my maiden voyage ... I had a great time! Thanks for Cowpokey for all the help and guidance. Now I understand why a lot of you "troll" with rocket launchers ... need to make one this winter. Brought two fish home to the wife, thanks to Carter! :-)

Some things I learned:
                1) Need to get a dry suit (I had to pee the last 2 hours really bad). I had ordered one, but got the wrong size. I was wearing waders with a top and belt. But WOW! I understand now why the relief zipper is SO IMPORTANT!!! ... of course, it didn't help that I can see Carter from a distance peeing like 5-6 times through the whole trip.
                3) I have no idea how to use the navigation on the Elite 5, need to take a course on Youtube or something.
                6) Don't promise the wife you are going to do a list of "Honey to do" list after fishing ... we launched at 7am, thought I would be home my noon to do her list. Got home at 4pm, cleaned the yak and all the equipment. Man! Was SHE MAD!!! :-)

David
                Most important lesson here is bullet #6.
                ...with the all-important corollary to #4: (Do not make pissed off wife clean the fish after you get home four hours late)
                -manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

+1 on # 6!
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                  Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Some things I learned:

David
                    It was a pleasure meeting you Dave. Looking forward to the next outing.

Lots of good videos on YouTube for cleaning fish. Many of them where you fillet the fish and never even deal with the guts. [emoji4]
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
                      After my experience, I repacked/updated my first aid kit and I threw in some wire snips for good measure. In my case, I ended up having to use my fishing pliers to pull the hook out of my thumb (it was embedded very deep) and the barb made more damage coming out, then on its way in.
                      If it should happen again, I'm going to push the hook through, put up with a second puncture wound in order to gain access and cut off the barb with the wire snips rather than put up with the tearing the barb makes on its way out.

BTW, I keep the first aid kit in my rear hatch inside one of Hobie's drop-in containers. The container keeps the contents dry, and having it in the rear hatch means I have it with me, but not taking up crucial space meant for tackle and other gear.
                      Hey Manny, what kind of wire cutters do you use? Some of those hooks are really strong
                      -Mustafa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Mustafa,

Nice meeting you as well. Funny thing, is I watched a video before I filleted the fish. It wasn't the best video and didn't have time to find another. Plus I was exhausted and dehydrated.

We just had fish tacos tonight. It was ok, the wife and kids liked it, so that's all that matters.

Us surf fishing guys carry Manley pliers or knock offs. I actually have a pair of tecton (sp?) from Amazon really cheap. Always in my SUV when surf fishing. I probably would of had it yesterday, but did not get my crate yet.

I'm definitely hooked to fishing off a kayak. Just have to convince you guys to fish the ocean or NJ/NY At night for some big momma fish :-)

David

Comment

Nice to meet you DKim73. Hope see you out there soon

2014 Hobie Outback [emoji41]
                          2014 Hobie Outback
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
                          2nd PLACE
                          Slam Division

Comment

Ken,
                            Great to meet you too!

Here is my small bolt cutter to remove hooks from hands. And always pull through or crush the barb completely and you may be able to go in reverse.

Another thing is. These are to cut large hooks for the ocean size (4x or 6x vmc). The bay side hooks are probably not as thick and other pliers might work.

Davidimage.jpg

Comment

Some did better than others...I heard of a kayaker out there in the same area that boated a 28", and got a treble hook buried deep in the hand.
                              Yes that was my bubby Dan it was his second time on a kayak. He wanted me to Thank you Guys for all the help. They had to give him a little slice. A Band-Aid and some antibiotics he's ready for more. DSCN0583.jpg DSCN0585.jpg DSCN0588.jpg DSCN0590.jpg
                              Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                              Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Just have to convince you guys to fish the ocean or NJ/NY At night for some big momma fish :-)

David
                                You had me at Just. LOL!
                                I'm game bro!
                                -Mustafa
                                2016 Hobie Outback
                                2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                                X