No announcement yet.

Occuquan - Sat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out on occoquan today 1pm to 5pm... marked tons of big fish on ff just south of railroad bridge but could only bring up one small yellow perch. A Guy in a john boat boat said he's pulled up about a half a dozon. Also got into crappie north of the Dr bridge... foul hooked a shad. Slow day but nice out.
    Attached Files

Comment

Wonder boof,
      Thanks for the post. And I am glad that recently more kayakers in VA are posting valuable information. In a few months, the VA forum will be packed with good info. Please keep posting. I think we will cover the fishing areas from DC to Norfolk.
      Currently I am trying to get Info around Rappahannock River. When I find the info I will post.

Thank you very much

Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
        Currently I am trying to get Info around Rappahannock River. When I find the info I will post.

Joe
        City Dock park in Fredericksburg is a nice place to launch on the Rapp and is free. The fall line isn't too far away for fishing during the shad run. The peak is usually around mid April. It's been kind of crowded the past few years, which is why I started targeting shad at the Occoquan.

There's a free state run boat ramp farther downstream at the Little Falls wastewater treatment plant. I've only fished there once and picked up some small blues and Dad caught a couple lmb. Little Falls is off Route 3.

Hicks Landing is off Rt 17, and I think it's a free ramp. That stretch of river looks good for bass and cats, but I've never fished there.

There's another boat ramp in Port Royal off Route 301 right by the bridge that goes over the Rapp. The store/restaurant associated with the ramp keeps changing hands, so I'm not sure what the charge is to launch there. There used to be a catfish tournament there years ago, and I saw lots of cats coming in close to 50lbs. I fished there once and caught some decent lmbs in a side creek. I didn't try for cats.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

More good times on the river today.. Was great being out on the water with good friends catching lots of fish. Was really good seeing Joe and Redfish12 again on the water good times for sure.

Over 50 crappie caught between all 7 of us.. I think i was the only one to manage any decent yellow perch but i think they are coming soon.

Meadeo
          2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Nice batch of fish there! How big is the Crappie in the middle? I need to try crappie fishing on my yak one of these days...
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Yeah, nice work. Makes me want to join you guys.
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

That's a nice mess of fish there. It'll be a nice variety once the perch show up in force.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                  Nice batch of fish there! How big is the Crappie in the middle? I need to try crappie fishing on my yak one of these days...
                  13" and 1.5 lbs.. KG and Ilv1fish both had 14 and 15 inches that made mine look like babies.

Meadeo

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                    Yeah, nice work. Makes me want to join you guys.
                    Do it

Meadeo

Comment

Let us know when the big ones come in, Mea, and I may just bring my gear out of storage.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Fishing was fun. Crappie Magnets and smelly jelly was my ticket. It was also nice meeting Joe, Mike and Jim (comeonfish, redfish12, and rockchaser). I hope everyone's names are correct.
                        Hobie Outback
                        WS Tarpon
                        IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Nice fishing with you guys! Get a shorter rod!
                          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                            Nice fishing with you guys! Get a shorter rod!
                            Agreed that 7 ft surf rod was a bit much under that dock lmao...

Meadeo

Comment

It did handle his monster crappies though... And you guys definitely made me go to the tackle store and get some electrified chickens.
                              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Lol. It was 6ft. I need to fix the tip on my UL though. Gotta hit up Phil on Lee Hwy for some reel cleaning too.

Mike - you missed it when the older gentlemen kirked out on us when we came back to the dock. The one that was fishing above us. "Gosh darn it....do you need me to show some fishing etiquitte?" He ws mad becasue the bow of my kayak was facing where he casted and thought I was in the same "hole" he was. He looked right at Meado and was talkin trash. We should have grabbed his legs and pulled him under.
                                Hobie Outback
                                WS Tarpon
                                IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Working...
                                X