Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
    Tufnik,
    I am not at liberty to share the location. I can say that a whole blue crab would have worked. I caught mine trolling a 6 inch storm swim shad and on a 1 oz jig head with a green 6 inch Gulp! swimming mullet. Had I been more aware I would have had a crab ready to drop down after I hooked up, but even having one spare line in the water during the fight was challenging because they spin you in circles.

Kevin,
    Thanks man. Ill let him know.
    No problem about revealing the spot on the Forum, Ravens. I think I know where you caught them though. Not only does Kevin Kayak write about where to catch them, he told me when I talked to him last Fall. Rob Choi also writes about it. The guys at Oceans East also tell you where to catch them so it's really not a secret. Like you said, you just got to be there at the right time.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      No problem about revealing the spot on the Forum, Ravens. I think I know where you caught them though. Not only does Kevin Kayak write about where to catch them, he told me when I talked to him last Fall. Rob Choi also writes about it. The guys at Oceans East also tell you where to catch them so it's really not a secret. Like you said, you just got to be there at the right time.
      You know as much as I do then. Haha

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Way to go on them bull reds. Totally agree with timing and putting in the time.
        Hobie Outback
        WS Tarpon
        IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Beautiful fish!!! Congrats!
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Red drum are powerful fish that you have to survive the first run without panic that you will be spooled if fishing from the beach- can't imagine what it is like in a kayak- and WTG for the 40 inch striper! It is great when you have one of those days when you are the guy everyone wants to be and everyone else is fishing but not catching- congratulations on reaching that milestone!
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Pretty much the same thing in a kayak, Ron. Add in a few more circles and practically your entire rod being almost under water when he gets close and that about sums it up. I remember wondering if i had enough line when the 1st one went on his initial run; best fight of my life.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Guys, it was a long tough two days of fishing. I estimate that we paddled or peddled more that twenty miles. These fish call for a full commitment to target just them when you are out there. You must have heavy duty equipment, and be prepared to go after them with at least three different techniques. Ravens Defense and I had a great fishing experience, and it was very cool to share his lifetime memory. In addition, we were so fortunate to share the friendship and advice of a virtual whose who of kayak fishing legends. Every one of them were super nice, and would share info easily. This happened because these guys have put in a lot of time gaining the knowledge, and I think they respected and saw that Ravens D. and I were there ready to put in the work as well. I would get dogged tired and come home empty handed any day for the opportunity to fish with them.

Comment

I started to like your thread until you got kind of greedy and started talking about not disclosing the location of your trip as if it was some kind of classified information of something. But after seeing the lousy Photoshop editing employed to hide some details I have to say that I am done looking at this forums for information on where to go fishing for bulls or any other species for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by charlieru View Post
                    I started to like your thread until you got kind of greedy and started talking about not disclosing the location of your trip as if it was some kind of classified information of something. But after seeing the lousy Photoshop editing employed to hide some details I have to say that I am done looking at this forums for information on where to go fishing for bulls or any other species for that matter.
                    Charlieru,
                    I totally see where you are coming from, but let me make a couple of points on this. This site and most for that matter are not forums that give you a direct path to catching your target fish. If that is what you are looking for I suggest you hire a guide. Seriously. There is no work involved except showing up. Which by you previous post, that looks like what you are interested in. There are a lot of guys who put in a dozen of trips (myself included) to get that first red and many more that go a dozen in between reds. Now, I did not discover the exact spot where I caught these fish on my own, but I also wasn't told on an internet fishing forum. I was shown while I was out on the water. And I wasn't shown on my first time, either. Like I said, its about putting in the time, learning, and showing those who do know more than you that you are putting in work. This in the end will make you a better fisherman anyway. Many people will gladly tell you where to catch a perch because they require much less work, but don't be offended when the same info isn't given (or photo shopped) for a much harder species. And regarding the photoshop....I thought it was awesome. Surprised you noticed.

Short of an exact spot, I'd be happy to share what I can or answer any questions. Just send me a PM.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Is this guy for real? Haha

Great report and even better photos. Glad you were rewarded. Nice job taking the high road in your reply =)

Comment

Doesn't matter what you do- there will be others fishing in "your private" super-secret honey hole- I know where to fish after more than forty years of fishing Tidewater Virginia- where 60 (+) pound cobia hang around within a mile of the shoreline in June/July- monster black drum this month and where 100 pound tarpon are hooked every year in sloughs on the eastern shore- buy popular fishing maps that have all these location marked clearly with GPS numbers- there are no such things as secret spots if more than one person knows about it- We fished a hole behind the fourth island of the CBBT for years for drum (both red and black) that no one knew were there until we started bringing in citation fish every trip- one of my best spots for big flounder is near hospital point at the Hampton bar- off Grandview, we caught big tautogs on a rockpile no one knew was there a half mile off the beach- same story at Bluefish Rock- a well known cobia fishing spot where big cobia are caught every year- the real secret is knowing what species to fish for at what time of year, how to rig and what baits to use- then it is simply a matter of putting in your time, being there when the fish blitz and using the correct tackle- this post contains a lot of information about baits time and the general location- is it Lattimer shoals or the flats around Fisherman's Island inlet- that doesn't matter to me- because both locations can contain these fish- they move around- five to six feet of water within a half mile of shore- look on a NOAA chart- even if he described the location in great detail, the fish would not be there today- they move around- don't get pissed off- do some chart studying and look for bars a half to a mile off the beach and then put in some time- I have done a lot of driving to new fishing spots after studying charts only to draw a complete bust- it happens, but it is fun trying to find new fishing spots and new places to fish- last year I went to Stockton on the eastern shore only to get blown out after launching- it happens- every trip is an adventure- enjoy the challenges-
                        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-13-2013, 09:08 PM.
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Since you are no longer coming to the site I might be wasting my time, but here goes. It is not about being greedy, it is about respecting the request of those who took you under their wing and helped you. There is plenty of info available everywhere on good fishing areas, but a friends' special spot should not be shared on the world wide web. A buddy who does that will be fishing by himself pretty darn fast. Show up, fish, and be respectful. You will find that folks will be glad to help you out. Petty digs about Ravens' PS technique says more about you than him.

Comment

I think enough people have ragged on charlieru so I won't start, but I was too busy looking at the fish that I didn't even notice the photoshopping until it was brought up looking back the second one was actually well done. Did you use the spot-healing brush for the last picture? Anyway nice job on the reds and having the countless hours of work put in on finding these reds pay off.
                            Last edited by M_Duong60; 05-13-2013, 08:38 PM.
                            Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

congrats on your well deserved fish. now that the red is marked off of your list, what are you going to target next?

Comment

Hey, internet fisherman, maybe you should go out and fish instead of having others do the work for you. There may not be any "secret spots" left but there are spots that few know about and are not being smashed by everything that floats. If you want to know about drum buy kayak Kevin's DVD. You might also benefit from doing research on the species and learning their habits. Form your own plans instead of thumbing through the internet looking for what, when, where and how's. You are a leech, thanks for viewing snaggedline, goodbye.

(View expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of the snaggedline.com moderators or community.)

These guys put in the time and were rewarded for that. Catching a ES red is not easy and requires good planning, diligence and patience. Good job on the awesome fish guys.
                                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Working...
                                X