No announcement yet.

October M&G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still see boats out there with trot lines. I have not been crabbing in the last month myself. I know during the summer the South River is a very good place to crab. Although, they are doing some dredging just off Hillsmere. You would have to go a little farther than where I usually crab. The dredging shouldn't hurt the fishing, as that is further out from the creek channel.

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
      Hows the crabbing in the area this time of year?
      Buddy of mine got a nice half bushel last Sunday on the south. I will not be fishing at the m&g
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

One of the best places on the river to crab is at Mayo Point, just across from Hillsmere. From the point back into the cove, to the West of the point, is a great place to crab. There is a sharp drop off along the edge of the point back into the cove. I used to set a line of crab traps there, when I had my boat. In some places, in a matter of a few feet the water drops from three feet to 20 feet. The crabs move up and down those drop offs. Mayo point may be in easy range for an electric motor.

Comment

OK, looks like the gate and key card reader will not be a problem. I will be there at the marina at about 6 am. When you get there, the launching area is all the way at the end of the parking area. It is by the old utility pole lying on the ground. To the right of the pole is a place to go through with a dolly. It is a sand, beach type, launch.

It should be fun.

Comment

Dogfish ........ is there a number to call if we are running late or get lost?

Comment

Im torn between trying to catch crabs for the last time this year or focusing on trying to catch Stripers...

It's been quite a few weeks since I've crabbed. I dont have a trotline, I only have five traps, but I usually could get plenty for me and the wife earlier in the year in the Severn. Metro are you going to be crabbing at the meet and greet? If so, maybe I'll set my traps near you so I can get a first hand account of how you run the line and set everything up because Im definately running a line next year...

I guess since we are not allowed to crab until a half hour after sunset, I could try topwater before that...
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Shady I will be mainly crabbing at the meet and greet as well as Metro. I will bebusing 13 traps and fishing in between checks. I will be there around 6:30 ready to go. If you need anything let me know. I will have extra fresh chicken knecks if you need some.

Comment

Yeah I am gonna be crabbing saturday. I am trying to get as much experience as I can to be better prepared and more comfortable for next season. I am going Sunday morning as well.
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Ok, decision is made. I will crab and fish in between checks as well. I always use fish for bait and I still have plenty of perch heads in the freezer, but thanks.
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Shady you are ahead of the game. Way to respectfully decline my chicken knecks because I see you know that perch works excellent as well. LOL! When Metro and I went a couple weeks ago in between checks I bottom fished with salted bloodworms and caught about 8 perch. I put them in the traps and they TORE them up. Thats why I want to get an early start and try to caych a few
                      Last edited by Foursteps24; 10-20-2011, 11:52 AM. Reason: Missing word

Comment

In my experience fish works better, especially later in the season. The cknnx biggest benefit is that they generally hold up a lot better, which is good for a trotline. I'll be bringing some leftover crab quarters to bottom fish with that I was using for bait last weekend, we'll see if anything wants that...
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

--The weather looks great, Sunny with a 5mph NW wind. That will be great conditions.

--I was down at the marina today looks like the recent high tides have washed up alot of debris, but not terrible. The sandy beach is washed out a little, but not a real problem for kayak launching.

Comment

so how cool will the water be? Are you guys wearing waders already up there? Ive been fishing close to shore lately so I have not worried about getting wet.
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Air temps are forecasted to be high 40s to low 50s. Water temps are in the low 60s. Definately waders weather...
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Dogfish,
                                What nearby tackle shop would you suggest in the area?
                                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                                X