No announcement yet.

SMOG meet and greet at St Inigoes July 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately most of our areas are very slow right now, and most importantly I think for someone coming from North, the specks and reds just aren’t showing up again. I’ve heard of a small speck caught here or there, but nothing that says they’re here in numbers. I know I’m not catching them. Spot tail croaker (reds) are reported at the Pt Lookout fishing pier but No one in SMOG has caught one. Flounder still a no show. Overall, as you’re aware, a very down year.

They’re still working on the ramp area and closed off more parking. Looks close to done (building a living shoreline to replace the sea wall) but you know how construction seems close to done but never is. Leaning towards shifting to Piney Point/St George’s Island as we’ve caught a few fish there versus none at St Inigoes and parking won’t be an issue. Only 3 water miles from St Inigoes.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      Unfortunately most of our areas are very slow right now, and most importantly I think for someone coming from North, the specks and reds just aren’t showing up again. I’ve heard of a small speck caught here or there, but nothing that says they’re here in numbers. I know I’m not catching them. Spot tail croaker (reds) are reported at the Pt Lookout fishing pier but No one in SMOG has caught one. Flounder still a no show. Overall, as you’re aware, a very down year.

They’re still working on the ramp area and closed off more parking. Looks close to done (building a living shoreline to replace the sea wall) but you know how construction seems close to done but never is. Leaning towards shifting to Piney Point/St George’s Island as we’ve caught a few fish there versus none at St Inigoes and parking won’t be an issue. Only 3 water miles from St Inigoes.
      I would be good with Piny Point if that's what's decided. Part of the meet-and-greet is not just fishing but it's socializing with other fisherman and seeing old friends. At least that's my thoughts.
      MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
      2016 Hobie Outback LE
      Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
      https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

SMOG meet and greet at St Inigoes July 20

Fished Piney Point last week...fished it hard...caught five keeper white perch...no Stripers, no other species...and the tide was perfect as was the wind...not a skunk, but disappointed...

Update- Fished Piney Point Again Sunday...better luck, including a 20 1/2 inch Striper that I released unharmed, very healthy, frisky fish that fought well above its weight...and seven nice fat White Perch we had for supper last night...while not a “banner day”, considering it was on the Fourth of July weekend, pretty darn good news...and the other good news- grassbeds are back and growing well...bad news is the grassbeds are back and growing well...loose grass fouls the lures, so constant checking is required...
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-08-2019, 01:28 PM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

So Ron, is the M&G still on, hope so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Mike we need updates? The OGWLTF crew is itching to visit! And I just got the parts to repair my PA14 tank!

Please confirm 7/20 and meetup location!
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

The M&G is still on. We will be changing the location to Piney Point Landing (bridge to St George’s Island) on Route 249 because of the ongoing construction at St Inigoes. Launch time is still 5:30. Lunch will not be at Courtney’s. We will be going to Chief’s, which is a couple miles away. Sorry for the location change but there just isn’t enough parking at St Inigoes right now.

If you come the night before you can try your hand at Clark’s Landing on the Patuxent. We’ve had some decent perch and striper days there, and like the Annapolis rivers, some not so decent days. I’m also offering up the pond behind my house which is loaded with small bass and bream, and who knows there are some lunkers in there.

Hope to see folks on the 20th. As Moc said it’s not always about the catching but the opportunity to meet each other. Who knows, I may even have that broken mast backed out of my drive by then. Loctite is not your friend .
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                The M&G is still on. We will be changing the location to Piney Point Landing (bridge to St George’s Island) on Route 249 because of the ongoing construction at St Inigoes. Launch time is still 5:30. Lunch will not be at Courtney’s. We will be going to Chief’s, which is a couple miles away. Sorry for the location change but there just isn’t enough parking at St Inigoes right now.

If you come the night before you can try your hand at Clark’s Landing on the Patuxent. We’ve had some decent perch and striper days there, and like the Annapolis rivers, some not so decent days. I’m also offering up the pond behind my house which is loaded with small bass and bream, and who knows there are some lunkers in there.

Hope to see folks on the 20th. As Moc said it’s not always about the catching but the opportunity to meet each other. Who knows, I may even have that broken mast backed out of my drive by then. Loctite is not your friend .
                Thanks for the update Mike! I'm still on for lunch and fishing. Looking forward to it.
                Matt
                Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
                2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
                10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Mike- if your Drive is not working I will loan you the drive out of Daughter Laura’s Compass so we can all fish together
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Mike,
                    Please add Mark Bange and myself for fishing and lunch. Will get back to you if the weather turns bad. John Veil will comment his intentions later next week. Looking forward to next week!
                    John Rentch
                    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Mike -

I hope to attend both fishing and lunch, but will make my final decision next week based on wind and weather. Like John Rentch and Mark, we will drive to Southern MD the day before, fish somewhere, then spend the night.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Mike,
                        I’m interested for fishing and lunch. Do you know how the crabbing reports have been down there? Tempted to run a trotline instead of fishing if it’s any better than up in the mid bay region.
                        J

Comment

Crab reports have been mixed. The nice thing about the PineyPoint launch is it puts you in St Georges Creek which is a crab pot free body of water, commercial guys can’t fish there. So lots of water to pick from and I do see trot liners working the creek edges on the far shore from the launch quit frequently.
                          Mike

Comment

Count me in! Are there any good camp grounds around there? Maybe I'll stay the night before in an RV or a Tent. I might have a friend come also.

Thanks,
                            Eric

Comment

The Take It Easy Campground is on Route 249 about 10 minutes from the launch, but I think it’s RV only. Tent camping sites aren’t close or plentiful. If you have access to a DOD facility you can try the Solomons rec center, they have a multitude of options for staying the night, but popular in this time of year.

The closest hotel is the Island Inn and suites on StGeorges. Parking is tight there if you have a trailer. Looks like $110 a night, so not too cheap. Back in California Maryland there are lots of chain hotels to pick from. Stay away from the Budget Inn or A&E if you want your kayak on your car in the morning.
                              Mike

Comment

It’s looking like a nice crowd for this M&G and the wind forecast, for what it’s worth is favorable for the creek side, we’ll have to see what the Potomac is doing. We are actually going to use 2 launches on Saturday. One of the SMOG crew will be at Jack’s Launch at the very end of St Georges Island. This is a small private launch that can handle 6-8 cars and cost $5. I’ll post a map with location. The main launch will be Piney Point at the bridge to St George’s. You’ll drive by this launch if you go to Jacks. There is no real difference in fishing between the launches, one puts you at the SE end of the Island and the other the NW, but it’s nice to have an option. most of you will converge in the middle at some point in St George’s.
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X