SMOG meet and greet at St Inigoes July 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    For white perch fishing a fire tiger #3 mepps spinner works pretty good...you need a good ball bearing swivel to prevent line twist with in line spinners...a hilderbradt #2 jig spinner with 1/8 oz jighead and white yum 3” grub works, too...I like to troll 1/8 oz. jighead with a Bass Assassin Sea Shad in pearl/chart in the flats around the points near grassbeds...XR 8 XRap work as crankbaits and jerkbaits...hope to see you Saturday...
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see if I can't get some of these before Saturday!

Steve

Comment

Mike, you had me at stuffed ham. In for fishing and lunch. I'll try to bring some rigs for spot fishing, a stringer to keep them alive, and some live lining circle hooks. Used to do that off of boats many times, and I prefer trolling lures truthfully, but whatever's catching is fine by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
        Thanks Mike, don’t know how I missed you. I’ve been getting reliable reports that folks live lining spot near the gas docks have been doing well. Spot can be caught near the jetty and then set up downstream from the dock. You’ll obviously need a rig to catch spot, something to keep them alive and most importantly, offset circle hooks to live line. Big, size 6 to 8 should work fine. Bottom jigging in that area has also produced. It’s fairly deep at the gas dock, 40’ right off it so bring heavier lures if you want to jig. An option if you like that type of fishing.

My cell if you need to reach me is 240-431-8222
        Hey guys,

Sorry I can't make this one - it's a long drive for me, but I would be willing to do it but we are having a family get-together at the house that day. I am looking forward to the reports to see how everyone does.

Big Mike, just to clarify, I think the regulation is non-offset circle hooks for live-lining, right?
        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
        2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

You are correct, nonoffset. I’ve never live lined and won’t be on this trip either, thus my stupidity.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

High tide is 5:12 am and low at 10:58...winds are forecast to be light west 5-9...79 degrees at 5 A.M. and 90 degrees at 11...should be about as good as it gets weather and tide wise...I will be at Jack Russell’s place at the end of the St. George’s Island Road...I will not launch until 6 a.m. to meet with any stragglers...it is a ten minute ride at speed limit once you cross the Bridge going on the Island. At the fork in the road a mile or so on the Island just bear left on the main road...it is another half mile to Jack’s..I will be parked as far as I can to the right in the parking lot for as many as six or seven other kayakers...be aware you will launch at the very end of St. George’s Island at the mouth of the St. mary’s River to the Potomac. The suggested donation for parking and launch is $5.00...Jack has a book to sign and a donation drop.
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-18-2019, 11:47 AM.
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Booked a table for 15 at 11:30 at Chief’s Restaurant. 44584 Tall Timbers Road. The restaurant sits behind a small grocery store that says WJ Dent on the sign. I verified they have stuffed ham and soft shells for those who like crispy crustacean legs.
              Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike and Ron for all the work, really excited for Saturday. Good fishing, new friends, and good food, what else is needed!
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
                  Thanks Mike and Ron for all the work, really excited for Saturday. Good fishing, new friends, and good food, what else is needed!
                  Plus one on that Ron and Mike. I'm looking forward to fishing your waters and meeting more folks from SL. I appreciate your efforts to make this event happen.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Speaking of radios, what channel should I tune to for the event?

Comment

Still trying to decide if I can get my butt up at 3:00am to leave the house by 3:45 or so, to make it there by 5:30 (coming from Bowie). I really want to learn, catch spot, and live line for stripers as mentioned earlier.

It's either that, or buy spot at the bait shop, and try to beat some of the rec boats and guides out to the bay bridge and combat fish! 20 minute trip but huge pucker factor...
                      Native Slayer Propel 13' w/ Boonedox Rudder (Copperhead), Lowrance Hook2 5 Splitshot HDI

Comment

Originally posted by jdindino View Post
                        Still trying to decide if I can get my butt up at 3:00am to leave the house by 3:45 or so, to make it there by 5:30 (coming from Bowie). I really want to learn, catch spot, and live line for stripers as mentioned earlier.

It's either that, or buy spot at the bait shop, and try to beat some of the rec boats and guides out to the bay bridge and combat fish! 20 minute trip but huge pucker factor...
                        I would go to the Bay Bridge tomorrow and be your wingman but I'm heading to the Meet and Greet. I'm planning on crabbing instead of fishing. I hope to get some pointers from experienced yak crabbers while I'm there.

I didn't think buying spot local to the Meet and Greet was a possibility. I wonder how hard the spot are to catch. I wasn't able to catch any at the bay bridge using worms on small hooks with bottom rigs. I was able to catch a bunch of perch but the rockfish were not interested in them. The spot were like candy for them though.

Hope to see you at the Meet and Greet or on the water in the future.
                        Eric

Comment

I’m not aware of any local place selling spot, and certainly nothing open that early. Spot and small croaker are fairly abundant in local waters right now, just need to find the right depth. Channel 68 on radios. You will find that folks in the creek can’t talk to folks in the Potomac due to the Island interference unless you have a super high watt radio.
                          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by jdindino View Post

I'm heading down from Odenton. What kind of boat do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Morbidsteve View Post
                              I'm heading down from Odenton. What kind of boat do you have?
                              My kayak is a Native Slayer Propel 13.
                              Native Slayer Propel 13' w/ Boonedox Rudder (Copperhead), Lowrance Hook2 5 Splitshot HDI

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                                I’m not aware of any local place selling spot, and certainly nothing open that early.
                                I was referring to if I stayed local and fished the bay bridge. I'd have to look up the name I wrote down, but I was told of a bait shop that opens at 5am and has live spot, but you have to get there early they sell out fast.

Edit: It may have been Angler's in Annapolis, on Saturdays only, like $23.99/doz.
                                Last edited by jdindino; 07-19-2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X