SMOG meet and greet at St Inigoes July 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
    It’s looking like a nice crowd for this M&G and the wind forecast, for what it’s worth is favorable for the creek side, we’ll have to see what the Potomac is doing. We are actually going to use 2 launches on Saturday. One of the SMOG crew will be at Jack’s Launch at the very end of St Georges Island. This is a small private launch that can handle 6-8 cars and cost $5. I’ll post a map with location. The main launch will be Piney Point at the bridge to St George’s. You’ll drive by this launch if you go to Jacks. There is no real difference in fishing between the launches, one puts you at the SE end of the Island and the other the NW, but it’s nice to have an option. most of you will converge in the middle at some point in St George’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Adding to your head count, I received permission from the Boss for a day of kayaking...and fishing...and lunch.
      Sounds like a good time!
      Chris
      PA14

Comment

I’m going to have to change direction guys. My son has a baseball tournament on Saturday, so I’m going after some snakehead on Friday. Sounds like the bite is picking up, hope you guys find them!
        Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          Crab reports have been mixed. The nice thing about the PineyPoint launch is it puts you in St Georges Creek which is a crab pot free body of water, commercial guys can’t fish there. So lots of water to pick from and I do see trot liners working the creek edges on the far shore from the launch quit frequently.
          Thanks for the information - the lack of commercial crabbers is tempting by itself. I'm probably going to bring a line to run.
          J

Comment

Got out yesterday afternoon- launched at 1:30 pm and fished until 5...fish were scattered in small pods of a few here and there...caught some undersized Stripers and a couple of Keeper size fish- all released unharmed...total of seven...the flounder bite is still tough...a few nibbles but no strong takers...perch are scattered but are biting...not great, but in the heat of the day- not bad...love my electronics...it is an effective tool..and reminder the no crab pot area does not include Cherryfield Point... that area will have a bunch of pots...

IMG_0650.jpg
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-16-2019, 07:48 AM.
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'm thinking about crabbing with a 600' trot line. I am using a trailer also. Which launch would you suggest I use?

Thanks,
              Eric

Comment

Originally posted by justeric View Post
                I'm thinking about crabbing with a 600' trot line. I am using a trailer also. Which launch would you suggest I use?

Thanks,
                Eric
                Piney Point
                Mike

Comment

I'm in for fishing and probably lunch.

Comment

One more for fishing. Would like to stay for lunch but must pop smoke by 1100.
                    Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Here's who I have so far. If you can't make it please let me know so I can let the restaurant have a general idea of how many to expect. We will be eating at Chief's which is a local restaurant about 3 miles from the launch on your way back home. They generally have stuffed ham sandwiches available, which if you aren't from St Mary's you've probably never had. It is a truly regional item you won't find anywhere else in the country. Here's the list:
                      Mike
                      Ron
                      Gary
                      John V
                      Mark
                      John R
                      MJ Keith - no to lunch
                      Yakscientist - maybe
                      Justeric
                      ChrisCA
                      Jman
                      Moc (?)
                      Matt ( yakman)
                      Daolai - ?
                      ShaunGT ?
                      Steve6902 ?

It's going to be smoking hot on Saturday - pack plenty of water. Our plan is to move lunch up to 11:30- to 12 time frame figuring folks will be ready to come off by 11 or so. As always - fish to your hearts content.

Gary and I will be at Piney Point, Ron will be at Jack's at the end of the island so one of us will be around to greet you. I won't launch until after 6 for the stragglers. Channel 68 on the radio.

Mike
                      Mike

Comment

Am I Mike or are you Mike? Either way, add another to the list. I will be there.
                        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Thanks Mike, don’t know how I missed you. I’ve been getting reliable reports that folks live lining spot near the gas docks have been doing well. Spot can be caught near the jetty and then set up downstream from the dock. You’ll obviously need a rig to catch spot, something to keep them alive and most importantly, offset circle hooks to live line. Big, size 6 to 8 should work fine. Bottom jigging in that area has also produced. It’s fairly deep at the gas dock, 40’ right off it so bring heavier lures if you want to jig. An option if you like that type of fishing.

My cell if you need to reach me is 240-431-8222
                          Last edited by Big Mike; 07-17-2019, 03:49 PM.
                          Mike

Comment

Looks like I’ll be there, with my wife. We’ll be on a hobie oasis and have a trolling motor.

I have read some stuff on here and it seems like some people are bringing some specialized lures that were made by people on the forums and such. I was wondering, what should I bring that I can go buy at a local bait shop though? I have no idea what I’m doing in these areas.

Looking forward to meeting some of you.

Also, which radio should I get to talk to y’all on the stated Chanel?

Steve

Comment

For white perch fishing a fire tiger #3 mepps spinner works pretty good...you need a good ball bearing swivel to prevent line twist with in line spinners...a hilderbradt #2 jig spinner with 1/8 oz jighead and white yum 3” grub works, too...I like to troll 1/8 oz. jighead with a Bass Assassin Sea Shad in pearl/chart in the flats around the points near grassbeds...XR 8 XRap work as crankbaits and jerkbaits...hope to see you Saturday. This is a home made perch spinner that I use quite a bit- pretty inexpensive to make...

IMG_0654.jpg
                              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-19-2019, 11:36 AM.
                              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Morbidsteve View Post
                                Looks like I’ll be there, with my wife. We’ll be on a hobie oasis and have a trolling motor.

I have read some stuff on here and it seems like some people are bringing some specialized lures that were made by people on the forums and such. I was wondering, what should I bring that I can go buy at a local bait shop though? I have no idea what I’m doing in these areas.

Looking forward to meeting some of you.

Also, which radio should I get to talk to y’all on the stated Chanel?

Steve
                                There are lots of threads on here concerning radios, suggest you search for radio on the forum. I have a Standard Horizon HX 290 (don’t know if they even make that model today). It was around $100, floats (most important), and is fairly basic, no GPS or auto weather. For the vast majority of the time that is all you need.

I guarantee to you that most of your tackle will work. Perch will attack your bluegill lures, stripers most of your hardbaits. Main thing is colors tend more towards white or chartreuse around here in our soft plastics. 4” paddle tails on a 1/8 to 3/8 oz jig head will suffice on many trips.
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X