No announcement yet.

SMOG meet and greet at St Inigoes July 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve, here is a picture of an active pound net at Piney Point. It’s visible because it has nets strung between the poles that form the structure. Typically the poles are just tree trunks about 4” in diameter driven into the bottom. There is a second pound net on the Potomac side that has the poles but no net. This creates structure for fish in an area that doesn’t have much. That’s what he fished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      Steve, here is a picture of an active pound net at Piney Point. It’s visible because it has nets strung between the poles that form the structure. Typically the poles are just tree trunks about 4” in diameter driven into the bottom. There is a second pound net on the Potomac side that has the poles but no net. This creates structure for fish in an area that doesn’t have much. That’s what he fished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Yep, exactly. Whole lot of nothing and flat bottom all around, no structure. Kept pitching that 1/2 oz jig head with gulp 4” mullet (white) into the poles and retrieving/twitching/jigging. About every 5-10 casts I’d either hookup or get a good bump. No keepers, but still lots of fun.

Without that structure, it would’ve been a waste of time in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Native Slayer Propel 13' w/ Boonedox Rudder (Copperhead), Lowrance Hook2 5 Splitshot HDI

Comment

Big THANKS to Big Mike and everyone at the Meet and Greet. I had a great time crabbing but didn't have the energy for lunch. I ended up catching about 3/4 bushel of medium and large crabs on my first kayak crabbing trip! When I was pulling in my trotline, there was only bait left on about 1 out of 5 snoods. The crabs were plentiful and I think I could have caught more if I knew what I was doing from the start. I learned a lot and will be more prepared next time. I cooked the crabs last night to the delight of my wife, daughter and her boyfriend. We still have crabs left.

Again, thanks a bunch Big Mike.

Eric

Comment

2019-07-20 07.26.00.jpg

I don't recognize the perch, but the spinner jig looks familiar! Lol
          Glad you got some use out of it!

Comment

Originally posted by justeric View Post
            Big THANKS to Big Mike and everyone at the Meet and Greet. I had a great time crabbing but didn't have the energy for lunch. I ended up catching about 3/4 bushel of medium and large crabs on my first kayak crabbing trip! When I was pulling in my trotline, there was only bait left on about 1 out of 5 snoods. The crabs were plentiful and I think I could have caught more if I knew what I was doing from the start. I learned a lot and will be more prepared next time. I cooked the crabs last night to the delight of my wife, daughter and her boyfriend. We still have crabs left.

Again, thanks a bunch Big Mike.

Eric
            Good job on your first kayak crabbing trip. For me catching a crab coming up from the depths of the water is like seeing a surprise surfacing.
            MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
            2016 Hobie Outback LE
            Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
            https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Thanks Big Mike and the rest of the SMOG crew for organizing the logistics of this outing - certainly a memorable trip! The crabbing was a blast, finally an opportunity to test out the trotline set up. Most of the crabs were in the 5-9’ depth and the first run produced nearly a quarter bushel of keepers. Nice putting names to faces and I’ll have to order the stuffed ham sandwich on the white bread next time
              J

Comment

Originally posted by jdindino View Post
                As everyone has already said, thanks again Mike and Ron for all of the work putting this on. Had a great time, enjoyed meeting everyone, and had a great lunch too[emoji4]

I launched at the bridge, fished for spot with a double bottom rig, and caught 8 spot. Headed towards gas docks, stopped and live-lined a spot near the old pound nets. Lost a small striper at the kayak.

Fished the gas docks, live-lining again, didn’t get a hit.

Went back to pound nets and started trolling w/ a 1/2oz and 4” gulp mullet. Caught 2 dink strikers. Started jigging near the pound net structure, ended up catching a 14” Striper, a 15” Striper, and 2 17” Striper. No matter how much I tried, they wouldn’t stretch to 19”. [emoji3064]
                Couldn’t make the M&G Saturday. I went to the fuel docks yesterday (Sunday). Didn’t get a hit either live-lining. Nothing. Not a single run off. (Did get 20 plus shorts casting and a couple trolling) Sunday before live-lined the fuel dock and the bite was constant with a lot of legal fish.
                Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                Predator 13

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post
                  Couldn’t make the M&G Saturday. I went to the fuel docks yesterday (Sunday). Didn’t get a hit either live-lining. Nothing. Not a single run off. (Did get 20 plus shorts casting and a couple trolling) Sunday before live-lined the fuel dock and the bite was constant with a lot of legal fish.
                  Thanks to all who setup this M&G. This is one I look forward to every year. I plan to go back specifically for the G.D. - I'll need to bring some beefier heavy tackle for those depths as well; Very excited, possibly next Sunday 7/28.

Lunch was fantastic!

Last edited by mchottie; 07-22-2019, 01:37 PM.
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

This was a great event! As many have said, the heat was oppressive, but only really while I was on land. I got 4 striper between 10-16" trolling, and tried my luck jigging at the gas docks as well. There were definitely fish there, but I got bored and too hot sitting still to put in any sort of effort. Got a few bites but after about 15 minutes, decided to go back to trolling so I could feel a slight breeze at least. I also tried for flounder but I think there were only small croaker hitting my gulp, I probably could've downsized hooks but I didn't think it was worth the effort. Lunch was fantastic, I'm actually pretty used to stuffed ham as my gf's family mostly live in southern MD, and cook it a few times a year. All in all, a great way to spend a hot Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                    X