Timing is everything.....Bull Reds...Eastern Shore, VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
    I think enough people have ragged on charlieru so I won't start, but I was too busy looking at the fish that I didn't even notice the photoshopping until it was brought up looking back the second one was actually well done. Did you use the spot-healing brush for the last picture? Anyway nice job on the reds and having the countless hours of work put in on finding these reds pay off.
    I did. It was actually the last one I did. I used the clone feature on the two "better" ones. I use the term better very loosely. Lol

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by mango View Post
      congrats on your well deserved fish. now that the red is marked off of your list, what are you going to target next?
      Thanks. No plans of shifting my efforts. I am still seeing red.

And Pinch out of nowhere with what I was really thinking. Hahaha.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

In charlie's defense. I can understand his point of view. I too came to forums years ago to get fishing info, especially on where to fish. I soon learned I can get generally info and not specific spots. Anglers have their so-called "secret spots" and don't want to openly reveal them. But Ron made a good point about the changing nature of secret spots. That is, conditions change, fish roam, the blue moon isn't behind the 7th star, etc. So, specific spots are generally not always productive. A good angler would fish surroundings areas with a search and explore mindset.

Most of the fishing spots I identified as "good spots" have been through trial and error. That is, hard work and many skunks. When I go out to a location, part of my fishing routine is to watch and observe other anglers on boats, shore, piers, yaks, etc. I ask questions and trade info (e.g., where and what I catch) with other anglers. That is, collect intel on technique, bait used, etc. I also watch my FF too, and try to remember drops, depths, etc. After a while you develop patterns in your mind on where the fish are likely to be, and you develop confidence when you catch that fish.

So, charlie, you're OK in my book. You'll catch fish, but you'll have work at it. Use whatever info you can get to your best advantage. If you leave this Forum, you're not doing yourself a favor in becoming a better angler. I encourage you not only to learn from the Forum, but to also contribute through your reports, tips, etc.

BTW, Ravens. A friend and I fished that area enough to know the surroundings. My friend figured out where you caught the bulls, even with the photoshop work, and I agreed with him on the general area. We figured it out based on collective information (e.g., general public info, our experience with fishing areas, and past face-to-face conversations with other anglers). Again, it took past work to figure it out, just like the work you did (and your positive mindset, dreams and unrelenting drive) in ultimately catching your dream fish. Even if "average anglers" had the right info, I don't think they, initially, would have the determination and drive to get that dream fish.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
          In charlie's defense. I can understand his point of view. I too came to forums years ago to get fishing info, especially on where to fish. I soon learned I can get generally info and not specific spots. Anglers have their so-called "secret spots" and don't want to openly reveal them. But Ron made a good point about the changing nature of secret spots. That is, conditions change, fish roam, the blue moon isn't behind the 7th star, etc. So, specific spots are generally not always productive. A good angler would fish surroundings areas with a search and explore mindset.

Most of the fishing spots I identified as "good spots" have been through trial and error. That is, hard work and many skunks. When I go out to a location, part of my fishing routine is to watch and observe other anglers on boats, shore, piers, yaks, etc. I ask questions and trade info (e.g., where and what I catch) with other anglers. That is, collect intel on technique, bait used, etc. I also watch my FF too, and try to remember drops, depths, etc. After a while you develop patterns in your mind on where the fish are likely to be, and you develop confidence when you catch that fish.

So, charlie, you're OK in my book. You'll catch fish, but you'll have work at it. Use whatever info you can get to your best advantage. If you leave this Forum, you're not doing yourself a favor in becoming a better angler. I encourage you not only to learn from the Forum, but to also contribute through your reports, tips, etc.

BTW, Ravens. A friend and I fished that area enough to know the surroundings. My friend figured out where you caught the bulls, even with the photoshop work, and I agreed with him on the general area. We figured it out based on collective information (e.g., general public info, our experience with fishing areas, and past face-to-face conversations with other anglers). Again, it took past work to figure it out, just like the work you did (and your positive mindset, dreams and unrelenting drive) in ultimately catching your dream fish. Even if "average anglers" had the right info, I don't think they, initially, would have the determination and drive to get that dream fish.
          I can kinda get where he is coming from too but he came off too strong and basically attacked OP. Knowledge sharing is what helps shape a better fisherman and RavensDfense did share quite a bit. Usually a general location suffices since fish do tend to move around a lot. I don't understand those who post reports and don't even offer that, kinda defies the point but I don't think that applies here.

I still get a kick out of posters who "photoshop" out the numbers or landmarks in their photos but can view the GPS coordinates in the pictures EXIF (only works if picture taken with a smartphone though)
          Dave
          2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Originally posted by charlieru View Post
            I started to like your thread until you got kind of greedy and started talking about not disclosing the location of your trip as if it was some kind of classified information of something. But after seeing the lousy Photoshop editing employed to hide some details I have to say that I am done looking at this forums for information on where to go fishing for bulls or any other species for that matter.
            Dude hasnt even put in time on the site. 14 posts and you're already calling someone out? SMH
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Yeah, dsmero, his message did sound a bit too strong, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because some people may not fully understand etiquette and need to be "guided." If we teach people, they can become contributing friends.

I know what you mean about reports that don't even mention the general area. It's like, "What's the point?" I think the idea should be to motivate and encourage others, and mentioning the area gives people the motivation to check it out too and hopefully report back to help more people.

Comment

How many times have you asked us to join you at Kiptopeake, Tuf? Delaware? Most can't take off work when a fellow MKF member is headed out on a road trip for a species- This June I'll be headed down to Back River/Bluefish Rock to cobia fish- and I'll ask for company- you want to learn how, where, what baits, how to rig those baits to catch cobia- join a trip targeting a species you want to catch- Cobia are bruisers on a rod and great table fare-best way to fish for them is chumming with live spot for bait- And anyone up for an ES Tarpon trip in July?
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

So were the GPS coordinates posted somewhere in all this jibber jabber, or not? If so, please copy them and paste them in a PM to me.

Thanks
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                    How many times have you asked us to join you at Kiptopeake, Tuf? Delaware? Most can't take off work when a fellow MKF member is headed out on a road trip for a species- This June I'll be headed down to Back River/Bluefish Rock to cobia fish- and I'll ask for company- you want to learn how, where, what baits, how to rig those baits to catch cobia- join a trip targeting a species you want to catch- Cobia are bruisers on a rod and great table fare-best way to fish for them is chumming with live spot for bait- And anyone up for an ES Tarpon trip in July?
                    Yes. The best way to learn is to PUT THE TIME IN with people who are better than you!! I'd love to join you on the eastern shore trip!

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                      So were the GPS coordinates posted somewhere in all this jibber jabber, or not? If so, please copy them and paste them in a PM to me.

Thanks
                      Sorry, as the photographer, I can assure you, my camera was not GPS enabled.

Comment

lol I was joking. I envy you guys!

Comment

You're absolutely right, Ron. Most people have different and tough schedules. Work, family commitments, charities, church activities, etc. Hard to coordinate, not to mention changing wx conditions. Some people make last second decisions to fish while others can stick to a pre-planned outing date. Some really don't like to go out on marginal wx conditions. Some people go with their regular circle of friends. I think many of us have asked or received invitations for trips, only to maybe go through with some of them. Just because a person does or does not extend invitations, or accepts or declines invitations, does not mean that person is unfavorable. Not everyone openly extends invitations. That's cool. I think everyone should do what they feel comfortable with depending on their priorities and goals. After all, it's suppose to be fun with no undue pressure.

Comment

What an awesome experience; thanks for sharing it with us. Hope you "get on 'em" again soon.

Comment

Awesome guys ........... GREAT JOB !!!!!! .......... totally envious ............. I was down the weekend before and got blown out and had totally bad luck .........

Sure glad you got them .......... also ...... was wondering who the "Maryland guys " were in Kayak Kevin's blog ..........

Comment

That was me and hemmingway

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X