No announcement yet.

June 11 Meet and Greet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was quite a day, it was nice to meet you all (though I'm sure i'll forget some names). I ended up going home tonight instead of tomorrow since the thunderstorm soaked my tent/bed and firewood. (found out the hard way my tent isn't waterproof...) At the end of the day I caught about 7 croaker, took home 4 around 13-14" range, landed one 16" Flounder, and had an epic battle with a Cownose Stingray that left my muscles sore and rod snapped in half. It was well worth it though. That was easily the toughest fish I've ever fought, too bad the hardware didn't hold up to finish the fight. I let it tow me in towards shore for about 15 minutes, made my paddle back a little easier at least I'm amazed at how rough it got out there, especially considering it was so calm going out. It's a good thing we were out there with so many people!

Also, I think I'll hold onto this as a reminder...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...R/IMG_0170.jpg
    Last edited by frettr00; 06-12-2011, 01:13 AM.
    2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

• Like you, I took home four croakers around 15 inches each. I got some good size fillets out of them. I was fortunate that my rod did not break during an epic battle with a cow nose ray that gave me a Chesapeake Bay Sleigh ride. The ray was my first hook up of the day. I was able to fight the ray up to the side of my kayak where I could cut the hook away from his mouth. As for the croakers, I caught them on a fish finder rig tipped with shrimp drifting from 30 feet of water towards 21 feet of water. The fish finder rig out fished my double hook high, low saltwater rig. The weather did turn from a calm sea with 89 degree temperatures to a cooler day with lightning and torrential rains. It was great seeing old friends and new friends today. After the approaching storm with two foot chops chased us out of the water, we went to the Monterey Mexican Restaurant for dinner and to talk about the day. We had a flotilla of kayaks descending on the shopping center's parking lot, what a beautiful sight. It was about 9 of us who went. It was a good way to relax after a good yet short day of fishing.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Was a good day out on the water, Nice to meet all you guys and looking forward to the next one.
        '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
        '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
        Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

• Metro- no worries- sorry you didn't get to get into the fishing- It got rough after 2 pm- I stuck it out until 3:30 but finally decided to come in- then discovered how hard it is to paddle against a strong tide, big chop and a steady 20-25 mph south wind- It seemed to take forever- I had three good hits on live peanut bunker in my chum slick and one big ray hooked up- no fish, so I got a skunk on the Wet Dream yesterday- I didn't fish for croakers- wife didn't want me to bring any home.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

• Awesome turnout and GREAT to meet everyone. I had a blast. Picked 4 of those 14-15" croakers, 1 flounder at 17" and one striper at 14". Nice, mixed bag. I got the flounder almost right away so thought maybe it was on but that was it for the flatties for me. Glad to hear at least another was taken.

Ron is right. Once that wind picked up the croaker bite was over. I was pleasantly surprised how well the Revo handled that 2-3' chop, with an occasional 4' footer! Several white caps broke over the side and it was as wet and rough conditions as I've ever been in. Never felt uncomfortable riding through it, though.

Next up is the snakehead hunt for the July M&G! I'll post details soon.

John

Comment

• I had a great time Saturday. The croaker were hitting good in the morning but when that wind came on it turned off a little. I caught 9 or 10 before the M&G and only 3 after.

It was good to meet so many people into kayak fishing. I look forward to the next M&G.
              Jim

Hobie Outback
              TKAA member
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

• in ref to our parking lot conversation yesterday....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI

LMAO!!
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                  in ref to our parking lot conversation yesterday....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI

LMAO!!

awesome
                  Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

• It was fun out there!! I had a great time as always... here is a vid of what you guys missed on the water when that storm was rolling in... Please note there is no active fishing in this video... I don't have a mount! LOL But MetroMan and I were able to get 1 keeper before the storm rolled I also missed most of the other board members because we were rushing to get the gear and yaks put up! LOL Next time I will have a better documentary...

MetroMan & MyTMouse's great adventure!!

Comment

• Good video- too bad we didn't all get together and launch enmass, but fishing is fishing- here is Fred with his kayak under tow with a big ray-
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

• Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                        It was fun out there!! I had a great time as always... here is a vid of what you guys missed on the water when that storm was rolling in... Please note there is no active fishing in this video... I don't have a mount! LOL But MetroMan and I were able to get 1 keeper before the storm rolled I also missed most of the other board members because we were rushing to get the gear and yaks put up! LOL Next time I will have a better documentary...

MetroMan & MyTMouse's great adventure!!
                        Excellent journal! LOL!!!

Comment

• Damn! first one i missed since we started last july looks like everyone had a good time while i was pressure washing my deck !@# !@#$%^ #$%$#^*.

see what hapens when you git there late James? soon as u start catching u gotta run from a storm. great video and report thanks.

get ready for the great snakehead hunt in july

Comment

• Great Video ....... looks like evertbody had fun ........ loved the credits ...... Stuntmen ....... LOL

Comment

Working...
                            X